Bricked wg1608 help

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Edredunited

Bricked wg1608 help

Post by Edredunited »

So as the title suggests I think I have bricked my new wg1608 after doing a firmware update. It's powering up without WiFi and openwrt is not responding via the ip address using ethernet. Is there a way to recover this and reflash the firmware? Please help thanks.
Didneywhorl

Re: Bricked wg1608 help

Post by Didneywhorl »

http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5&hilit=firmware+recovery+method

Try that. It may take a few tries to get it working, the WG1608 can be finicky
ratledge

Post by ratledge »

I uploaded the latest factory firmware (24-June-2020) to the forum earlier today.

Try this, it's actually pretty simple: remove the power, press the "Reset" button and hold it for about 15-20 seconds and then reconnect the power WHILE STILL HOLDING RESET for about another 15-20 seconds. You should get to the point where only the power light is lit and maybe cycling / blinking. When you connect to 192.168.1.1 you will be greeted by the factory Chinese only low level firmware save / load page. In my experience the "save" doesn't work, it writes a file full of binzeros mostly, so just hit the oval / oblong button bottom center and it will pop up a selection box for the firmware to flash.

Once you start the routine, you will need to let it finish, it stalls at around 90% for a minute, just be patient. After about a minute once it is complete, you should be able to power cycle and bring up the original (or perhaps updated depending on how old your WG1608 router is) firmware and go from there.
OxiGen

Post by OxiGen »

ratledge wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:41 am I uploaded the latest factory firmware (24-June-2020) to the forum earlier today.

Try this, it's actually pretty simple: remove the power, press the "Reset" button and hold it for about 15-20 seconds and then reconnect the power WHILE STILL HOLDING RESET for about another 15-20 seconds. You should get to the point where only the power light is lit and maybe cycling / blinking. When you connect to 192.168.1.1 you will be greeted by the factory Chinese only low level firmware save / load page. In my experience the "save" doesn't work, it writes a file full of binzeros mostly, so just hit the oval / oblong button bottom center and it will pop up a selection box for the firmware to flash.

Once you start the routine, you will need to let it finish, it stalls at around 90% for a minute, just be patient. After about a minute once it is complete, you should be able to power cycle and bring up the original (or perhaps updated depending on how old your WG1608 router is) firmware and go from there.
I'm trying to fix my wg1608 brick by following your instructions but I can't get the Chinese web interface to show up. I flashed rOOter and after messing around with the settings I can't access 192.168.1.1 from wifi or ethernet.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Try using an incognito tab on your browser. and use http://192.168.1.1

You also need to make sure you have your PC eth interface set to a static IP like 192.168.1.100 so that it can still connect to that address even if/when the dhcp from the router isnt handing out dynamic addresses.
OxiGen

Post by OxiGen »

I did that and still can't get the chinese web GUI. Any other ideas?
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I do have a question, when you use your browser to navigate to 192.168.1.1 what does it say? It maybe that your browser is locking it out from display because of it not being secure.
OxiGen

Post by OxiGen »

Just no connection. I ping 192.168.1.1 and I get nothing back. It seems like the chinese web UI got wiped from flashing r00ter?

Btw why doesn't the reset button work for r00ter? I feel like this is a very mild brick that could be easily solved by using a reset that doesn't require a reflash of the firmware.
lod411
Has thanked: 0

Post by lod411 »

try setting a full static ip address on your network card.

ip address: 192.168.1.100
subnet: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1

preferred dns: 192.168.1.1

if you are using winblows. dhcp gets confused and does not pull the address

i have actually had to do a couple of hard flash resets on my wg1608 to get the flash webpage to pop up.

i unplug the unit. hold in the reset button. count to 15. while still holding the reset button plug it in. count to 15. then release it. then i count another 15. then check the see if it sees the router. by a ping 192.168.1.1

i also found that my lan port on my laptop was bad. i had to move it around to get it to link. try changing from lan port 1 to lan port 2 and check your cables. i know it sounds dumb, but you never know.
OxiGen

Post by OxiGen »

lod411 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:01 pm try setting a full static ip address on your network card.

ip address: 192.168.1.100
subnet: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1

preferred dns: 192.168.1.1

if you are using winblows. dhcp gets confused and does not pull the address

i have actually had to do a couple of hard flash resets on my wg1608 to get the flash webpage to pop up.

i unplug the unit. hold in the reset button. count to 15. while still holding the reset button plug it in. count to 15. then release it. then i count another 15. then check the see if it sees the router. by a ping 192.168.1.1

i also found that my lan port on my laptop was bad. i had to move it around to get it to link. try changing from lan port 1 to lan port 2 and check your cables. i know it sounds dumb, but you never know.
It turns out my laptop had the wrong Lan drivers installed. Used another computer and got it working right away and you don't even need to wait 15 sec before/after. Just few seconds unplugged then 4-5 seconds after and you get the portal.

Thank you and the others for helping me on this.
BillA

Post by BillA »

OxiGen wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:23 pm It turns out my laptop had the wrong Lan drivers installed. Used another computer and got it working right away and you don't even need to wait 15 sec before/after. Just few seconds unplugged then 4-5 seconds after and you get the portal.

Thank you and the others for helping me on this.

If there's no response from the router in either flashing or normal mode, it's always a good idea to test the ethernet/LAN port connected to another device like a dsl/cable modem to see if there's communication. ;)

On most newer routers/bootloaders, you may not have to set the ethernet/LAN port set to 192.168.1.10 or "ping" it, just leave it set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" under Network Connections > Properties.
First, plug the router into a computer via an ethernet cable connected to LAN port #1 on the router (not the WAN port, and cannot use WiFi for flashing).
To get into bootloader flashing mode, unplug and replug the power cable, and immediately hold down the reset button with a toothpick for exactly 5 seconds.
Release the reset button, wait a minute, then try to log into the flashing page through any web browser (Chrome preferred).
Make sure to copy and paste the "http://" part too of the link (it won't work with https):

http://192.168.1.1
or try
http://192.168.1.1/index.html

If you get a blank screen or an error message, try opening an "Incognito/Privacy" browser tab by pressing Ctrl+Shft+N, then try the above login links again.
If the flashing page appears with two large buttons and some Chinese letters, then continue with step #4 in the link below, otherwise follow the full link from step #1 to get into bootloader mode:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6007#p6007

Return to “General and Unclassified”