Final setup suggestions and advise

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
bigair360x1
Been thanked: 0

Final setup suggestions and advise

Post by bigair360x1 »

After months of research, I’m getting ready to finalize my setup for full time RV internet. I’m in IT so I NEED good reliable internet to make this work.

Currently I’m using a Mofi 4500 sim4 on Visible with a Panorama LP-IN1958 MIMO Omni multi antenna in an urban area for in home internet with good results. I’m within a mile of a tower currently but obviously that won’t always be the case when I’m mobile. We plan to be moving weekly on average once we hit the road. Ideally, I would like to have a multi sim router with load balancing at least (bonding at best) BUT most of the multi sim setups that I’ve seen (like Pepwave) have a low CAT modem and I think I would benefit from a newer modem.

So.. The setup I have been thinking of going with is:
-WG1608D-M Router
-Quectel EM12-G Cat 12 modem
-Weboost 25’ flagpole fixed to the ladder of the RV with dual Yagis

The idea is to run the router on my Verizon GUDP plan as the primary. I also have the ATT Ipad plan and my Visible plan that I can use for redundancy. My idea is to USB tether those 2 plans through the router only if needed.

I welcome any input or suggestions as I am trying to get this right on the first shot. I will be mobile and urban some days and probably very rural on others.

Questions:

-Are there multi sim routers that I can put high CAT modem(s) into? I know there was the one available for test on The Wireless Haven but I wanted to see some results before going that route. Maybe there is a better router for my plan that I haven’t thought of?

-Just checking – can I tether my ipad or cell phone through the WG1608 USB port? It works well with the Mofi.
Is it worth it to go to the EM20-G Cat 20 modem with 4x4 MIMO? I understand how much theoretical gain you receive with modem CAT update but am not clear on how much I would likely really see.

-I know it will be a pain to put up the Yagis and aim them every time I park but I think it will have the best results. Another idea is to keep the Omni antenna and only put up the Yagis if necessary. Would that be a better idea?

I wanted to try to pack everything into one post instead of dozens of posts so thank you for reading it through and sharing your opinions. It’s much appreciated.
Didneywhorl

Re: Final setup suggestions and advise

Post by Didneywhorl »

bigair360x1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 am After months of research, I’m getting ready to finalize my setup for full time RV internet. I’m in IT so I NEED good reliable internet to make this work.

Currently I’m using a Mofi 4500 sim4 on Visible with a Panorama LP-IN1958 MIMO Omni multi antenna in an urban area for in home internet with good results. I’m within a mile of a tower currently but obviously that won’t always be the case when I’m mobile. We plan to be moving weekly on average once we hit the road. Ideally, I would like to have a multi sim router with load balancing at least (bonding at best) BUT most of the multi sim setups that I’ve seen (like Pepwave) have a low CAT modem and I think I would benefit from a newer modem.

So.. The setup I have been thinking of going with is:
-WG1608D-M Router
-Quectel EM12-G Cat 12 modem
-Weboost 25’ flagpole fixed to the ladder of the RV with dual Yagis
Welcome to the forum!

I would go with a flat panel 2x2 MIMO, as they are easier to aim, and more forgiving with tree foliage and so forth. something like: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... o-antenna/
bigair360x1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 am The idea is to run the router on my Verizon GUDP plan as the primary. I also have the ATT Ipad plan and my Visible plan that I can use for redundancy. My idea is to USB tether those 2 plans through the router only if needed.

I welcome any input or suggestions as I am trying to get this right on the first shot. I will be mobile and urban some days and probably very rural on others.

Questions:

-Are there multi sim routers that I can put high CAT modem(s) into? I know there was the one available for test on The Wireless Haven but I wanted to see some results before going that route. Maybe there is a better router for my plan that I haven’t thought of?
The H721 can only run 1 M.2 modem and 1 Mpcie modem, with no USB port. It may be multi-SIM but it too is limited and cannot be used with USB tether, as it has no USB port.

I don't know of any multi-SIM capable of high cat modems, really. I usually use a modem enclosure to add a second modem and load balance the two. the WG1608 can do this, but I like the WG3526-P better. https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-routers/wg3526-p/
with a Quectel EM12G inside as my go to base setup. https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel- ... 2-modem-2/

bigair360x1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 am -Just checking – can I tether my ipad or cell phone through the WG1608 USB port? It works well with the Mofi.
Is it worth it to go to the EM20-G Cat 20 modem with 4x4 MIMO? I understand how much theoretical gain you receive with modem CAT update but am not clear on how much I would likely really see.
Yes you can tether. Apple products will require the latest firmware they released and possibly some additional packages to get it working, Android devices work out of the gate. Apple is just now being added by the firmware gurus at Rooter/Goldenorb.
bigair360x1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 am -I know it will be a pain to put up the Yagis and aim them every time I park but I think it will have the best results. Another idea is to keep the Omni antenna and only put up the Yagis if necessary. Would that be a better idea?
A MIMO Flat Panel Directional Antenna all the way. The Wireless Haven has 2x2 and 4x4 panels.

bigair360x1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 am I wanted to try to pack everything into one post instead of dozens of posts so thank you for reading it through and sharing your opinions. It’s much appreciated.
Always a good idea ;)
bigair360x1

Post by bigair360x1 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:06 am Welcome to the forum!

I would go with a flat panel 2x2 MIMO, as they are easier to aim, and more forgiving with tree foliage and so forth. something like: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... o-antenna/

The H721 can only run 1 M.2 modem and 1 Mpcie modem, with no USB port. It may be multi-SIM but it too is limited and cannot be used with USB tether, as it has no USB port.

I don't know of any multi-SIM capable of high cat modems, really. I usually use a modem enclosure to add a second modem and load balance the two. the WG1608 can do this, but I like the WG3526-P better. https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-routers/wg3526-p/
with a Quectel EM12G inside as my go to base setup. https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel- ... 2-modem-2/

Yes you can tether. Apple products will require the latest firmware they released and possibly some additional packages to get it working, Android devices work out of the gate. Apple is just now being added by the firmware gurus at Rooter/Goldenorb.

A MIMO Flat Panel Directional Antenna all the way. The Wireless Haven has 2x2 and 4x4 panels.

Always a good idea ;)
Thank you for the welcome! I have been lurking a long time and have learned a lot.

I like the panel antennas as I can go full 4x4 MIMO with the EM20 modem if I want. I don't know much about the panel antennas but I appreciate the perspective and am starting to research them.

I didn't realize the H721 didn't have the USB port. I guess that eliminates that from contention. I think there could be a huge market for a good dual modem router. I'm surprised someone isn't jumping on that niche.

Curious why you like the WG3526-P over the WG1608? It seems the 5g future capability could be useful?

Can you give me some perspective on the USB modem enclosures? How does that work (other than the basics)? Are you load balancing through the router? Or through another device? If the external modem enclosure works then I should be able to load balance with my cell phone or tablet tethered through usb too right?

Thank you again!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

bigair360x1 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:30 pm Thank you for the welcome! I have been lurking a long time and have learned a lot.

I like the panel antennas as I can go full 4x4 MIMO with the EM20 modem if I want. I don't know much about the panel antennas but I appreciate the perspective and am starting to research them.
I love them, very easy to aim and works very well in multiple environs.
bigair360x1 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:30 pm I didn't realize the H721 didn't have the USB port. I guess that eliminates that from contention. I think there could be a huge market for a good dual modem router. I'm surprised someone isn't jumping on that niche.
It is a bare niche in the DIY sector. Well covered in the industrial sector ..... $$$$$$
bigair360x1 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:30 pm Curious why you like the WG3526-P over the WG1608? It seems the 5g future capability could be useful?
The WG1608 and the WG3526-P are basically the same router. The WG1608 is the WG3526-P with different wifi chips, no SATA port option, no POE option, but an M.2 modem slot was added.
The firmware is identical, even to the point where you can very successfully run the WG1608 firmware on the WG3526-P.
I love the poe support of the WG3526-P and its just been a tank and a champ of a performer; except wifi speeds. Wifi speed sucks on all these routers, just the way its been for LTE gateway routers.

The WG3526-P can run the same modems, including Sub6 NR5G, just like the WG1608. That is as long as you use an adapter to hook it up.

One day the WG1608 will arise as the replacement, but will not have poe. That will have to be added via splitter.
bigair360x1 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:30 pm Can you give me some perspective on the USB modem enclosures? How does that work (other than the basics)? Are you load balancing through the router? Or through another device? If the external modem enclosure works then I should be able to load balance with my cell phone or tablet tethered through usb too right?

Thank you again!
The external modem enclosure is basically a usb adapter for the modem. It turns it in to a USB tether modem. IF you are using it, you cannot also use another usb device at the same time. If you want to use the 4x4 MIMO modem AND a phone or tablet via usb tether, then I would go with the WG1608.

It may be possible to tether, via USB, multiple items but I have not tried.

I do load balance two modems via the WG3526-P. I have also done so with the NEXR5GO router. https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/wifix-r ... 8ghz-wifi/

The load balancing via rooter/openWRT firmware is still new to me, so the weighting of each connection I am still learning.
BillA

Post by BillA »

bigair360x1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 am Questions:
-Just checking – can I tether my ipad or cell phone through the WG1608 USB port? It works well with the Mofi.

To future proof your router, it's best to go with a WG1608 which can accommodate and internal M.2 modem (4G or 5G), and you can tether a second modem in an external usb enclosure or a phone. Here's more information about the WG1608 including a list of 5G modems:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10 ... 7661#p7661

I have an internal Simcom SIM8200EA-M2 5G modem along with a Samsung S9 CAT-18 phone tethered via usb and load-balanced via MWAN. Here's how to tether a phone via usb or WiFi:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303

With two or more internet sources for extra speed and reliability, you could use OpenWRT's built-in MWAN load-balancing/failover feature, or OpenMPTCPRouter for true channel bonding (speed increase, VPN, static IP, etc):
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1078
Gregbyst

Post by Gregbyst »

Could someone explain the difference between dual sim, dual modem, and dual sim single standby please?

Are two modems necessary for load balancing, or can you do that with one modem that has two sim slots (is this a thing?)

If i got a wg3526 router with a cat 16 modem installed internally, could I then later upgrade to have another modem attached via usb enclosure and do load balancing and/or bonding with them?

Thanks for the question OP! I am in the same boat and learning because of your question!
Gregbyst

Post by Gregbyst »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:06 am

Hello!

Could the wg3526 have an additional high cat modem as the external one or does it need to be a low cat one?

Also, what firmware(Is that what it's called?) are you using to load balance? and can you do bonding?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The WG3526P can handle 2 high cat modems, one internal and one in the USB port. You must make sure to supply ample power though, as higher category modems use tons of power. Id say at least 4 amp 12VDC.

The Rooter/GoldenOrb firmware handles the load balancing. Bonding is not done with this firmware. I have no experience doing so.
Gregbyst

Post by Gregbyst »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:36 pm The WG3526P can handle 2 high cat modems, one internal and one in the USB port. You must make sure to supply ample power though, as higher category modems use tons of power. Id say at least 4 amp 12VDC.

The Rooter/GoldenOrb firmware handles the load balancing. Bonding is not done with this firmware. I have no experience doing so.
Thank you! Is bonding possible with other firmware like openwrt? and can any router, like this wg3526, be flashed to any new firmware?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Gregbyst wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:39 pm Thank you! Is bonding possible with other firmware like openwrt? and can any router, like this wg3526, be flashed to any new firmware?
Channel bonding (for speed increase, VPN, static IP, etc) has nothing to do with the router's firmware, it's done separately as described in the OpenMPTCPRouter thread. It also allows for more than two internet sources (internal + external modems, DSL, broadband, etc), but the configuration is not for beginners as it takes quite a bit of tinkering.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1078

For simple load balancing/failover you can use MWAN which is built into GoldenOrb/WiFix/etc.
When configured with the proper traffic rules, it can actually increase speeds too for certain applications, though not as efficiently as OpenMPTCPRouter.

Return to “General and Unclassified”