CBA850 in Genric Mode (A la MC7455)

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
passcode00000000
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CBA850 in Genric Mode (A la MC7455)

Post by passcode00000000 »

Hi guys,

I am planning on using Calyx and it runs off Sprint service. But I wanted to know, since usually with a Sierra Wireless in a USB enclosure we have to put it in Generic mode to work with Sprint, is the same possible with a New or Used Cradlepoint CBA850? I know carriers usually either blacklist or require a device swap but since generic mode helped prevent that, I was wondering if thats possible with the proprietary MC7455 inside the Cradlepoint.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: CBA850 in Genric Mode (A la MC7455)

Post by JimHelms »

passcode00000000 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:19 pm I am planning on using Calyx and it runs off Sprint service. But I wanted to know, since usually with a Sierra Wireless in a USB enclosure we have to put it in Generic mode to work with Sprint, is the same possible with a New or Used Cradlepoint CBA850?
Unfortunately, it will not. A Cradlepoint using the MC400LP6 modem matches the Carrier based on the SIM Card to the firmware that is used for that carrier. It then automatically changes to that carrier's firmware.
I know carriers usually either blacklist or require a device swap but since generic mode helped prevent that, I was wondering if thats possible with the proprietary MC7455 inside the Cradlepoint.
The MC400LP6 which uses the MC7455 modem (factory programmed with a TAC that is required for the Cradlepoint software to recognize the modem), can be programmed in much the same way as any other MC7455.

It is possible to set the preferred carrier as generic (in order to stop the auto carrier selection) in order to use the generic firmware, but the Cradlepoint software will refuse it for Sprint--returning a Mismatched Carrier error.

I know of no way to tell the Cradlepoint software to connect anyway or to disable or ignore the carrier matching to firmware. There may be a way using its CL terminal but it will take someone smarter than I to figure it out.

With that said, we have been successful with a pilot program for swapping devices (the MC400LP6 with a hotspot) thru Sprint for several of the third party Sprint hotspot providers. It is somewhat of a pain and time consuming on our end, and we are working towards streamlining a process.
passcode00000000

Jim, thank you for the helpful post. I appreciate how active you are on here.

If you were to ever have a streamlined process for Mobile Citizen resellers, I would probably jump on it for a Cradlepoint. In the mean time, I am wondering if I should get a Sierra Module with a USB enclosure or one of your LTE routers. I keep hearing the Sierra in generic always drops connection with whatever you use. I just want a dedicated connection for Calyx without using the hotspots they provide.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

The MC7455 does have its share of issues on the Sprint network on various towers. A lot of people are using the WE826-T2 and the WG3526 with the MC7455 have started using a ModemManager build which seems to resolve most of the issues.

Others have resolved issues by updating to a higher quality 12V power adapter on the WE826-T2.

The EM7565 with Generic firmware appears to be the most stable with Sprint. It is a M.2 modems (as opposed to mini PCI-E like the MC7455) so a Mini PCI-E to M.2 adapter must be used to install the EM7565 internally in the router. The modem antenna connectors require MHF4 connectors (as opposed to U.FL) so the antenna pigtail cables must also be changed.

A lot of customers favor using our USB 3.0 to M.2 adapter enclosure with the EM7565 modem which can be used behind any router with a USB port that supports a OpenWRT firmware build (i.e., GoldenOrb, ModemManager, ...).

Reach out to us on the store contact form to be placed on our list when the Cradlepoint swap program is perfected.
passcode00000000

To be honest Jim, I hate having too many devices laying around. I am sort of a neat freak. Don't your WE826-T2 now come with the higher quality 12v power adapter?

Or happen to know of a router that has a M.2 slot for the EM7455? I'd hate to mess up the pigtail connectors when trying to build that.

I'll go ahead and fill out your form, does it just consist of buying the cradlepoint(from you or anywhere) and then having you guys guide us through how to talk to Sprint about it? Do we have to find our Mobile Citizen account info for you?

Update: Is there any special consideration when installing the EM7565 with M.2 adpater in the WE826-T2? Are there modified directions for the EM7565 setup? I think I'm going to go that route from your and load up ModemManager. Hopefully the WE826-T2 has the higher quality power adapter you were talking about.

Update 2: Looks like I should go with the WG3526 router from you guys. Any tips for that one paired with the EM7565?
passcode00000000

Now I'm wondering if this guy might work: https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-x750/
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

passcode00000000 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:26 pm To be honest Jim, I hate having too many devices laying around. I am sort of a neat freak. Don't your WE826-T2 now come with the higher quality 12v power adapter?
It comes with a upgraded 2Amp power adapter, but a higher quality is questionable. We do carry a high quality replacement power adapter that is sold separately.
Or happen to know of a router that has a M.2 slot for the EM7455? I'd hate to mess up the pigtail connectors when trying to build that.
No, I do not. Either way, you will be faced with connecting the U.FL or MHF4 connectors to the modem port. The other ends are SMA Female bulkhead connectors that are extremely easy to replace/install.
I'll go ahead and fill out your form, does it just consist of buying the cradlepoint(from you or anywhere) and then having you guys guide us through how to talk to Sprint about it? Do we have to find our Mobile Citizen account info for you?
We will help activate only those routers that we sell. A third party provider account information is not necessary.
Update: Is there any special consideration when installing the EM7565 with M.2 adpater in the WE826-T2? Are there modified directions for the EM7565 setup? I think I'm going to go that route from your and load up ModemManager. Hopefully the WE826-T2 has the higher quality power adapter you were talking about.

Update 2: Looks like I should go with the WG3526 router from you guys. Any tips for that one paired with the EM7565?
The WG3526 is GB LAN and WAN so it makes more sense to go that away.

None of our WE/WG routers come with the high quality power adapters. They are available on the store at an additional cost.

The M.2 adapter slides into the Mini PCI-E slot and is screwed down. Then the EM7565 modem slides into the M.2 adapter and is secured in place with a screw.

You will require one 5" and one 10" MHF4 to SMA Female bulkhead connector pigtail also available on the store.

There is not a tutorial on installing an M.2 adapter and modem. Feel free to post one.

As for the router firmware with the EM7565, it does not seem to matter. The EM7565 appears not to have the Sprint issues that the MC7455 has.
passcode00000000

Awesome, thanks Jim. I'm coming close to ordering but wondering if I should first try the Spitz since it would mean 0 effort hardware wise. But then again it may be a big ordeal software wise.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

passcode00000000 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:18 pm Awesome, thanks Jim. I'm coming close to ordering but wondering if I should first try the Spitz since it would mean 0 effort hardware wise. But then again it may be a big ordeal software wise.
As with any router/modem, be sure it has the bands you are needing, and will activate on whatever carrier network you are using.

Return to “General and Unclassified”