Which to buy LTEfix.com for MIMO + question about 2nd modem antennas

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Dre40

Which to buy thewirelesshaven.com for MIMO + question about 2nd modem antennas

Post by Dre40 »

2 questions

Question: 1) Running a Bolton 26db + weBoost Signal 4G/LTE Direct Connect Booster on a WG3526 + CAT7 EM7411 (does band b66 with CA from b12 or b71

Just wondering what I'd gain adding a 2nd antenna at this point (if anything). Want to take advantage of MIMO. would love to just use one of the below and avoid the expense of another Bolton 26 (plus it's huge).

a) https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/700-27 ... a/#reviews
or this:

b) https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... l-antenna/

Signal quality is the same with or without the weboost (ranges from -15 to -17), lots of trees... weboost: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075T ... J4T1&psc=1

at!gstatus?
Current Time: 74143 Temperature: 46
Reset Counter: 1 Mode: ONLINE
System mode: LTE PS state: Attached
LTE band: B66 LTE bw: 20 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 0 LTE Tx chan: 132322
LTE SCC1 state:INACTIVE LTE SCC1 band: B12
LTE SCC1 bw : 5 MHz LTE SCC1 chan: 5035
LTE SCC2 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SCC3 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SCC4 state:NOT ASSIGNED
EMM state: Registered Normal Service
RRC state: RRC Connected
IMS reg state: No Srv

PCC RxM RSSI: -62 PCC RxM RSRP: -98
PCC RxD RSSI: -81 PCC RxD RSRP: -120
SCC1 RxM RSSI: -73 SCC1 RxM RSRP: -102
SCC1 RxD RSSI: -81 SCC1 RxD RSRP: -108
Tx Power: -- TAC: 2c28 (11304)
RSRQ (dB): -15.0
SINR (dB): -9.0

Powered by LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-20.029.49294-41e2258) / GoldenOrb_2020-05-16

Question: 2): I'm also running a mofi4500v2 on band b4/b12 (load balanced with 1st modem, though balance router). Which set of antennas are best of the two The Wireless Haven ones posted above? Signal on b4 right now with one Yagi (not high enough) is -98db with the same quality level range as b66/b71/b12 bands (no booster).

Carrier Aggregation: ACTIVE LTE Scell band:B12
Signal Strength: -96 (dBm) (Fair)
Signal Quality: -14.1
Diversity Signal Strength: -116 (dBm)

The tower with b71/b66/b12 is about 6.5 miles away, the b4/b12 is 3 miles away
toddw

Re: Which to buy thewirelesshaven.com for MIMO + question about 2nd modem antennas

Post by toddw »

If you want to keep band 71 optimized, you don't want to go with the first antenna. The second antenna, the The Wireless Haven 5g Yagi is solid, I have 4 of them and they work great with all bands. I would go that route. I tested the The Wireless Haven 5g yagi against an old 698mhz yagi for band 2, 4, 12, 14, 17 and 66. Both performed the same, no loss in the mid bands but still got an antenna that can handle 600mhz.

So I would go that route if I were you. Its not advised, but I have tested combining the Bolton 26 with yagis, as some of my colleagues can't tolerate two boltons on the roof. What I found works is to make the Bolton the primary main antenna and the Yagi secondary, which then defaults to what the bolton locks on to. Again not advised, but it does work and I do get improved performance on the setup.
Dre40

Re: Which to buy thewirelesshaven.com for MIMO + question about 2nd modem antennas

Post by Dre40 »

toddw wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:57 pm If you want to keep band 71 optimized, you don't want to go with the first antenna. The second antenna, the The Wireless Haven 5g Yagi is solid, I have 4 of them and they work great with all bands. I would go that route. I tested the The Wireless Haven 5g yagi against an old 698mhz yagi for band 2, 4, 12, 14, 17 and 66. Both performed the same, no loss in the mid bands but still got an antenna that can handle 600mhz.

So I would go that route if I were you. Its not advised, but I have tested combining the Bolton 26 with yagis, as some of my colleagues can't tolerate two boltons on the roof. What I found works is to make the Bolton the primary main antenna and the Yagi secondary, which then defaults to what the bolton locks on to. Again not advised, but it does work and I do get improved performance on the setup.
Great. I'll buy 2 of them. Use one with the Bolton for band b66/b71 and use the other with the b4/b12 modem/router (already have one basic wilson yagi). Thanks for taking the time to help out. Have a happy Holiday. :)
toddw

Post by toddw »

Happy to help. I also run a two router setup like you, two routers, one on Tmo and one on ATT. My Tmo router is the same as yours, 3526, Bolton on it, 7411 and I CA 66 with 71 and get great performance.

Hey, the Wilson yagis are 698 if I remember correctly. So if you keep it, you upgrade the second router, you will want to swap it out. I would make all three yagis the same.

Also, once you have these, you now have yagis that support 71. The Bolton shines on the higher frequencies, that is where the 26dbi gain is. So think band 2, 4 and 66. So I would test the Bolton on the Mofi and see where you get the most performance. For my setup, the Boltons really helped me with B66 so stays on the Tmo router.
Dre40

Post by Dre40 »

toddw wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:26 am Happy to help. I also run a two router setup like you, two routers, one on Tmo and one on ATT. My Tmo router is the same as yours, 3526, Bolton on it, 7411 and I CA 66 with 71 and get great performance.

Hey, the Wilson yagis are 698 if I remember correctly. So if you keep it, you upgrade the second router, you will want to swap it out. I would make all three yagis the same.

Also, once you have these, you now have yagis that support 71. The Bolton shines on the higher frequencies, that is where the 26dbi gain is. So think band 2, 4 and 66. So I would test the Bolton on the Mofi and see where you get the most performance. For my setup, the Boltons really helped me with B66 so stays on the Tmo router.
Thank you sir.

Yes I tested bolton with b4 and b66, and get the best speeds with b66 (still not great but 20-30mb average down), the port balance gives great snappy everything though (bandwidth) and if one band goes down speeds remain ok.

Question: When you have a miss-match (Bolton + Yagi) is it still advisable to setup in a MIMO config (angles)? Bolton plugged into primary + Yagi secondary?

On the 2nd modem mofi + duel Yagi I will do this for sure (had it prior with x2 Yagis and speeds were impressive on the Mofi, up to 40mb down), I broke one of the Yagi's moving it a few months ago and lost the speeds.
toddw

Post by toddw »

The miss matching is not recommended at all, and I do agree with that. But the installs I did, the colleagues insisted on the Bolton and only one. I went vertical alignment with the 2nd yagi.

As far as antenna tilt, I have tested it and have not seen any improvement. Keep in mind I'm usually on foot hills below mountains or on top of mountains, and using one pole. I read for true mimo, you need a good bit of distance between the antennas at the right angle alignment. So that may be why I don't notice an improvement.

There are some experts in the antenna section that can advise on this one.
Dre40

Post by Dre40 »

toddw wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:56 am The miss matching is not recommended at all, and I do agree with that. But the installs I did, the colleagues insisted on the Bolton and only one. I went vertical alignment with the 2nd yagi.

As far as antenna tilt, I have tested it and have not seen any improvement. Keep in mind I'm usually on foot hills below mountains or on top of mountains, and using one pole. I read for true mimo, you need a good bit of distance between the antennas at the right angle alignment. So that may be why I don't notice an improvement.

There are some experts in the antenna section that can advise on this one.
Cheers! I will follow this advice.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”