Verizon service advice?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
plympton
Has thanked: 0

Verizon service advice?

Post by plympton »

I have a cabin in not-too-rural Welches, Oregon. Without a booster, I have nothing. With a booster, I get T-Mo intermittently, and Verizon works GREAT. No experience with Sprint or AT&T here, but don't expect much.

For gear, I have a WeBoost 4G, an LB1120, and 2 NightHawk M1's.

I have the RV 20GB plan, but they throttle down to 0.02 MBit when you hit it (not the .6 MBit they said). I also recently picked up a Verizon 15+15GB prepaid hotspot plan that also promises to throttle at .6 MBit, and got a T-Mobile Home Internet kit this week.

1. Can I do anything about the Verizon throttling? I could easily live with 600 KBit. Heck, I'd take that alone if it were consistent!
2. Are there any unlimited-ish Hotspot plans I could use? I don't want to deal with getting banned, but I'm OK hacking around if necessary.
3. Am I missing anything?? Like I said, I'd pay for consistent Verizon throttled 1 MBit if it was 24/7, I just cant find it.

I'm down to LTE as a last resort. Satellite is a non-starter, Cable is 300' away and they just won't run it, and I can't find anything related to DSL anywhere.

-Dan
gscheb

Re: Verizon service advice?

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
If you don't care about high ping rates and throttled hotspot data to 5 down look into.
https://www.visible.com/
There are ways around the hotspot throttling. All over this site.
This is all on the verizon towers.
plympton

Post by plympton »

I'm going to give them a try. It'd be worth having 3 lines with them round-robin'ed through my edgerouter at this point, as crazy as that sounds. My collection of SIM chips doesn't seem to be going down!
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Was you saying that you would be satisfied with 1 Mbps down or was you saying 10 Mbps down consistent.
plympton

Post by plympton »

I'd be satisfied with 1 Mbps down if it was 24/7 with ~ 100ms latency, yes!! Verizon SAYS they throttle to .6 Mbps, but my experience is that is not true. I could survive on .6 Mbps if it was 24/7, but in reality it gets throttled to 0 - 0.02 Mbps (basically 2G/EDGE speeds).

The worst part of the experience isn't the speed - it's the try-fail-try-fail-try-fail-try-succeed because of timeouts. I've lived with slow connections. Complaining about "only" getting 1 MBit isn't in my nature. It's the intermittent connections that drive me nuts.

My existing T-Mobile phone service is unlimited (and I can hotspot for 4.5 GB), but the reception is spotty at this location - without a booster I don't get anything (not even much Verizon). Lots of trees and water are the likely culprits, as well as likely being in the fringe of the tower signal.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well if you can't get good connection an out side antenna can do allot.
plympton

Post by plympton »

I ordered a Visible SIM ($3/first month), activated the SIM in my phone, and popped the SIM in my M1, changed the APN to vsblinternet and works so far. Curious if the ban-hammer comes down. Throttled at 5 MBit, and ping is about 100ms. I plan on picking up a few more SIMs to load balance and be fair to everyone involved. Hopefully it works for a while.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Good.
If you want faster speeds need a router can set the TTL on.
Then cause a internal modem or tether a phone to it. Have set it up both ways before.
Don't know if you have to worry about load balancing it. So you think going to use allot of data? They advertise as unlimited.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

You could always go with unlimited VZW prepaid too. Yes it is a bit more $ but you don't get throttled like all of these MVNO like to do. I've tried several over the years (even though most are all tracfone) and speeds weren't anything close to the real deal in my area. I think it started out as $65, then 60 with autopay and then 55 after 3 months.
plympton

Post by plympton »

What’s the Verizon unlimited prepaid? I have a data only prepaid this month and it’s $65 autopay but throttled after 15+15gb. Are you talking a cell line?

The 5mbps is plenty for me. That could even handle a few concurrent Zoom I bet. Well, I’ll test that at least.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Yes just typical prepaid phone unlimited plan. Doesn't look like they are offering the discounts at the moment though. Seems like I remember VZW being picky on the modems but don't remember the details right off hand. Thats the only obstacle I can remember when setting it up.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

mtl26637 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:32 am You could always go with unlimited VZW prepaid too. Yes it is a bit more $ but you don't get throttled like all of these MVNO like to do. I've tried several over the years (even though most are all tracfone) and speeds weren't anything close to the real deal in my area. I think it started out as $65, then 60 with autopay and then 55 after 3 months.
Hello,
Never hooked up Verizon before. Just Visible plans basically. Seen people have issues getting Verizon post pay to work is Prepaid Verizon easier to get going?
How much Data have you used thru this Verizon Prepaid? I commonly use more than a terabyte a month on T-Mobile.
chronicledmonocle
Been thanked: 0

Post by chronicledmonocle »

If you can get an outdoor omni or directional antenna and tune it to the closest tower, you can get a Calyx Institute hotspot that runs on Sprint's network. Since T-Mobile bought out Sprint, they now roam on T-Mobile just fine and you could take out the SIM card and pop it into an LTE router you can build or buy with external antenna connectors. I use a WG3526 with a Quectel EM12 in it. Runs great for my primary internet and I can deploy my MIMO Yagi antenna if signal is low where I am (I'm a nomad living in a fifth wheel).
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

chronicledmonocle wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:39 pm If you can get an outdoor omni or directional antenna and tune it to the closest tower, you can get a Calyx Institute hotspot that runs on Sprint's network. Since T-Mobile bought out Sprint, they now roam on T-Mobile just fine and you could take out the SIM card and pop it into an LTE router you can build or buy with external antenna connectors. I use a WG3526 with a Quectel EM12 in it. Runs great for my primary internet and I can deploy my MIMO Yagi antenna if signal is low where I am (I'm a nomad living in a fifth wheel).
Hello,
Heard that it could be done. But read on here with other people having issues to get it to work.
Does anyone else get this to work as well?
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

I have a 1608 we826 and 3526 I have verizon tablet plan unlimited and can't seem to find the correct ttl
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Would see if Verizon Home Internet is in your area.

With Verizon 5G Home Internet is there a limit to the amount of data I can use?
No. There is no data limit or data cap for 5G Home Internet service. The 5G Home Internet plan is a data-only plan, separate from other plans on your account. Any device connected to your 5G Home Internet Wi-Fi network will enjoy unlimited data usage.

What internet speeds should I expect with 5G Home Internet?
Max download speeds up to 1 Gbps, depending on location, with typical download speeds of 300 Mbps; Sacramento max download speeds up to 940 Mbps. Typical upload speeds around 50 Mbps. Depending on location, uploads over 5G Ultra Wideband or 4G LTE. 4G LTE backup.

See Link
https://www.verizon.com/support/5g/?ado ... 7e85eeffe2
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

punkguy00017 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:22 pm I have a 1608 we826 and 3526 I have verizon tablet plan unlimited and can't seem to find the correct ttl
Hello,
Try putting this in the custom rules.
#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end TTL rules
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

For Netgear Nighthawk M1

How to set TTL

Bypass Verizon Wireless Hotspot Throttle to get Unlimited LTE Hotspot :ugeek:

See
https://youtu.be/oePO2PBYSp8
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

gscheb wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:54 pm Hello,
Try putting this in the custom rules.
#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end TTL rules
for me, same Verizon plan, use to run (117) but had to change to (64) if you need to change-just put in place of the (117)
Then keep a eye on your Verizon web site, on type of data used.
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Ok so I switched ttl like u said to117 it just says tablet acct number has used about 0gb as of 9:33 am showed this aswell when I had ttl set to 64
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

New to verizon is this the of u talking about?
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

New to verizon is this the of u talking about?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

punkguy00017 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:35 am Ok so I switched ttl like u said to117 it just says tablet acct number has used about 0gb as of 9:33 am showed this aswell when I had ttl set to 64
OK-help me understand---I have a postpaid, unlimited tablet plan-here is a cut and paste of it---

Unlimited Plan
Unlimited 5G Nationwide / 4G LTE data (+15 GB of premium data)
Unlimited mobile hotspot (15 GB of 5G Nationwide / 4G LTE data)
720p HD-quality streaming on capable devices
*4G LTE only. After 15GB, in times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic. Mobile hotspot/ tethering reduced to speeds up to 600 Kbps after 15 GB/mo.

is this what you have?
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

This is what my tablet plan is and I have the sim in the we826 right now with an mc7455.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Been moving my antenna bit by bit and was able to get 14mbps in one spot but I'm trying this up in my attic
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

Trying tp understand if after your 15gb of 4g premium data, you still get---
--*4G LTE only. After 15GB, in times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic. Mobile hotspot/ tethering reduced to speeds up to 600 Kbps after 15 GB/mo.---

if that is the case, you should not be throttled--but some deprioritizing may happen;
did you get your TTL set--and then run (cmd)prompt type---
ping(space)192.168.1.1
make sure it returns the TTL---that you set----let us know if you get it sorted out---do you know where to set your custom firewall settings??
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

I set the ttl to 117 how do I do the command prompt?
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

punkguy00017 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:20 pm I set the ttl to 117 how do I do the command prompt?
sometimes google can be your friend ;) go to your start tab, and type in (cmd)
run some data through your router/modem--ck your Verizon account--see if you are using regular data, or hotspot data.
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Ok will do
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Ok did the ping thing came back as ttl 117 which is what I have ttl on the router set to so?..... What am I looking for?
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Here's the image
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Ok so decided to use all my hotspotdata so my connection gets throttled and notice some apps on my computer not loading or being throttled to 600kb changed ttl from 117 to 64 and got full lte speeds. Still trying to lock into the best tower around me. Cell mapper is useless as I've found out cause says there's a tower by me in the middle of the rd lol. So next time I work day shift, I'll drive around looking for towers. Also regret leaving firstnet for phone plane which was truly unlimited lte and Hotspot. I still have a tablet plan with wm which I keep in my wg1608 but I needed to actually have phone signal so people could get in touch with me. Other than that soon as I can get outta Verizon I'm gonna do it unless they get 5g in my area but we shall wait n see

Return to “General and Unclassified”