Help interpreting Coolpad Surf's signal, will replacing it with quectel+modem work?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
user232

Help interpreting Coolpad Surf's signal, will replacing it with quectel+modem work?

Post by user232 »

Been researching what I need to buy to potentially replace my Coolpad Surf (Provider: Connectall [similar to pcsforpeople], uses sprint network)

Logged the coolpad's debug/connection data for 10 minutes. During this time the "Serving Cell (SC)" jumped to different SC about 10 or so times. Each SC has it's own band, the bands that the SCs have are 41, 26, 25 (I think another but I forget)

I checked Cellmapper. I tried to see if the towers had a number that matched the "serving cell" number but I dont think it does unless im overlooking it. Attached pic with my approx loc circled red.

The signal looks poor regardless of what SC i'm connected to. I dont have direct LOS, flat ground in Florida but theres small forest blocking. I usually have around 1-4Mbps it is kinda spotty and not very reliable. I assume the SC hopping around may be whats keeping me from having a reliable speed.

I read that band 41 is usually the best band for sprint? I see that I can buy a Quectel EM12-A or a Quectel EM12-G. I think the 12-G has a a better aggregation feature? Would that even help in my situation or is the EM12-A the way to go? Would I likely need to buy an outdoor antenna or are the modem housing blade antennas going to likely be a huge improvement over the basic ants on the Coolpad Surf?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Re: Help interpreting Coolpad Surf's signal, will replacing it with quectel+modem work?

Post by Didneywhorl »

user232 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:30 pm Been researching what I need to buy to potentially replace my Coolpad Surf (Provider: Connectall [similar to pcsforpeople], uses sprint network)

Logged the coolpad's debug/connection data for 10 minutes. During this time the "Serving Cell (SC)" jumped to different SC about 10 or so times. Each SC has it's own band, the bands that the SCs have are 41, 26, 25 (I think another but I forget)

I checked Cellmapper. I tried to see if the towers had a number that matched the "serving cell" number but I dont think it does unless im overlooking it. Attached pic with my approx loc circled red.

The signal looks poor regardless of what SC i'm connected to. I dont have direct LOS, flat ground in Florida but theres small forest blocking. I usually have around 1-4Mbps it is kinda spotty and not very reliable. I assume the SC hopping around may be whats keeping me from having a reliable speed.

I read that band 41 is usually the best band for sprint? I see that I can buy a Quectel EM12-A or a Quectel EM12-G. I think the 12-G has a a better aggregation feature? Would that even help in my situation or is the EM12-A the way to go? Would I likely need to buy an outdoor antenna or are the modem housing blade antennas going to likely be a huge improvement over the basic ants on the Coolpad Surf?
The EM12G is a great modem to use on Sprint, and now T-mobile. Band 41 is the fast one, if t-mobile doesn't gut it.

But you will want to put some investment in some flat panel directional antennas, I think. Like this one: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... o-antenna/
user232

Re: Help interpreting Coolpad Surf's signal, will replacing it with quectel+modem work?

Post by user232 »

Thanks didney, had time to look into figuring out what all I need again. Just wanted to say a lot of your prev posts I found while searching old threads, lots of very useful info that helped me narrow down the em12 series in the first place. Thanks for that.
I have a parabolic grid (forget exact specs, trying to find them. looks similar to attached pic) that I originally bought a few years ago for use on a signal for sprint 4g lte, would the panel be a big upgrade over the old grid? Can the grid and/or panel both cut through trees/foilage? Flat terrain here in Florida, just some trees in the way of LOS unless I mount the dish on an extremely tall pole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
user232

Post by user232 »

Did some more research. Seems my para grid ant prob wont be good for band 41 because its not suited for 2496 - 2690 MHz. Will consider the one you suggested didney. Assuming it works through tree foilage?

For the router, is the NEXQ6GO-M Cellular WiFi Router sold in the store a good choice for the em12-g, using the required m.2 adapter of course.

Also going to grab a heatsink, seen that suggested in an old thread.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

thank you :)

Sorry so late of response. Got super behind.

In general the flat panel directional antennas do very well when dealing with trees.

That one I have tested very well with the EM12G.
user232

Post by user232 »

Cheers
Ended up with wg1608 + em12g. Bought some lmr200 10ft from The Wireless Haven. Holding off on antenna for now while setting things up. Got most stuff figured out at the moment, main issue is that the modem network status screen is showing modem at 58C (yesterday I noticed it was reading at 65-68C. Not in an air conditioned room, inside a shed on my property near window.
I assume this temp is way too high? I see the em12g is specced at 70C max and the wg1608 at a very very low 40C max?

I read your tutorial where you mounted wg1608 inside of a 4x4 mimo w/ em20 I think in texas? How the hell did it not get cooked inside that water tight box? hah

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”