WG1608 Setup help

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
JoshKelly

WG1608 Setup help

Post by JoshKelly »

Hi all, back again for hopefully some more help on my new setup :)

My WG1608D-M and EM160R-GL should be arriving in the next few days and I am needing some help on the initial setup.

I am with T-Mobile and my current setup is a WE826(with WiFix) and the EP06A. I will not be using the WiFi part of the WG1608, it will be hooked up to an Edgerouter ER-12 that has an tplink AP.

Which version of GoldenOrb firmware should I be running from here, looks to be several different versions/dates: https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/

For the EM160R-GL, where can I find the latest firmware for it, I have emailed Quectel with no response?

Looking through the forums I have seen in a couple of different posts that say the EM160R-GL needs to run in mbim mode, I am not sure what this is but how do I set that up?

I have also read that in GoldenOrb I have to set some sort of tables up for IPv4 and IPv6 so my TTL is 65, unlike WiFix where there is an option for TTL. Can someone explain how to do this?

I want to disable IPv6 but I would like to have the TTL part setup just in case I want to mess with this in the future.

I am pretty excited for the new hardware!
Thank you for any help everyone :)
BillA

Re: WG1608 Setup help

Post by BillA »

Try running the latest firmware version WG1608-GO2020-12-02, it usually contains bug fixes.
https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/W ... -12-02.zip

The EM16 is a new modem, and probably will come with the latest firmware anyway. When contacting Quectel support, they require you to include the modem's imei number (mailto:Support@Quectel.com).
As far as MBIM, try it first in the default QMI mode, and if need be you can always chance it later, however it may break your ability to communicate with the modem, then you'll need to SSH into it to fix it.
Set Connection Modes
AT+QCFG="usbnet",0 - QMI/PPP/Default
AT+QCFG="usbnet",1 - ECM
AT+QCFG="usbnet",2 - MBIM

In my opinion using a WG1608 as a modem enclosure only connected to another is a waste of a perfectly good router. With its new chipset it's quite capable of running an entire network just fine (lacks 5G WiFi for now, but should be fixed soon).
Also, the more hops in your network between different routers+AP, the higher the ping times and harder to diagnose it if something goes wrong. If you really need to use that second router and it's OpenWRT flashable, might as well install the modem into an inexpensive external usb enclosure connected directly to your main router via a usb cable. It's your choice, but it's best to keep it simple.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The latest version fw for the EM160R-GL is version A04. (EM160RGLAUR02A04M4G)

Though I do not yet have a copy, I only have A03 on file. The newest modems received already have A04 on them.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

BillA wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:04 am Try running the latest firmware version WG1608-GO2020-12-02, it usually contains bug fixes.

The EM16 is a new modem, and probably will come with the latest firmware anyway. When contacting Quectel support, they require you to include the modem's imei number (mailto:Support@Quectel.com).
As far as MBIM, try it first in the default QMI mode, and if need be you can always chance it later, however it may break your ability to communicate with the modem, then you'll need to SSH into it to fix it.
Set Connection Modes
AT+QCFG="usbnet",1 - ECM

In my opinion using a WG1608 as a modem enclosure only connected to another is a waste of a perfectly good router. With its new chipset it's quite capable of running an entire network just fine (lacks 5G WiFi for now, but should be fixed soon).
Also, the more hops in your network between different routers+AP, the higher the ping times and harder to diagnose it if something goes wrong. If you really need to use that second router and it's OpenWRT flashable, might as well install the modem into an inexpensive external usb enclosure connected directly to your main router via a usb cable. It's your choice, but it's best to keep it simple.
Thank you so much Bill! I can't wait to get everything set up 😁! I definitely wish I could have ran the wg1608 alone but with having to mount the enclosure near the peak of my house on the eave to get a signal and all the vlans I have/need to run. I'm not sure how I could avoid the edge router/ap.

Is there something different I need to do with goldenorb to set up the ttl that is different from wifix?
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:57 pm The latest version fw for the EM160R-GL is version A04. (EM160RGLAUR02A04M4G)

Though I do not yet have a copy, I only have A03 on file. The newest modems received already have A04 on them.
Thank Didney! I will try to keep emailing them to see if they will send me the new firmware
BillA

Post by BillA »

JoshKelly wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:25 pm Thank you so much Bill! I can't wait to get everything set up 😁! I definitely wish I could have ran the wg1608 alone but with having to mount the enclosure near the peak of my house on the eave to get a signal and all the vlans I have/need to run. I'm not sure how I could avoid the edge router/ap.

Is there something different I need to do with goldenorb to set up the ttl that is different from wifix?

As an alternative setup, you could leave the WG1608 inside the home to be used as your main router, and connect the modem inside an inexpensive usb enclosure on the roof via a long usb extension cable to the router's usb port (you could even use a cheap Android phone as a modem on the roof ;~). I've done it, and works great as long as you use a quality usb3 extension cable.
The TTL settings in both GoldenOrb and WiFi should be the same, you can also edit it as a custom firewall script.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

JoshKelly wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:27 pm Thank Didney! I will try to keep emailing them to see if they will send me the new firmware
Hi Didney, this is what Quectel sent me for firmware:

https://arkomasurvey-my.sharepoint.com/ ... A?e=4nngYo

Not sure how to get it in a format for the flash tool though. Quectel did say to use tool 4.19 or higher to flash.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

BillA wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:03 pm An alternative, you could leave the WG1608 inside the home to be used as your main router, and connect the modem inside an inexpensive usb enclosure on the roof via a long usb extension cable to the router's usb port (you could even use a cheap Android phone as a modem on the roof ;~). I've done it, and works great as long as you use a quality usb3 extension cable.
The TTL settings in both GoldenOrb and WiFi should be the same, you can also edit it as a custom firewall script.
Never thought of getting a long usb cord and enclosure. Probably could have saved a lot of money that way lol
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Thanks for sharing that. Good stuff.

QFlash: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Yyp2p ... sp=sharing
Unzip it and find the QFlash.exe file and run it.

Windows drivers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Demcq6 ... sp=sharing
Install the drivers on your PC

(If your Mac person, I cant help ;) )

Then plug your modem into a pc using a usb to M.2 adapter. This cant be done through the router.

Flashing is super easy. Unzip that firmware file, then use QFlash 4.20 from Quectel (linked above), click the "load fw files" button and choose the following file in the following folder path from the extracted files from that zip file: EM160RGLAUR02A04M4G_01.001.01.001\update\firehose\prog_firehose_sdx24.mbn
QFlash.png
Then click Start
It should already use the correct COM port automagically, but sometimes you need to try other COM ports that are in the drop down. There is a way to see the COM port, but its not needed (Device manager, look for modem DM port, sometimes its there. Or Huawei terminal tool just for that). You can just try each one that is on the list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

JoshKelly wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:28 am Hi Didney, this is what Quectel sent me for firmware:

https://arkomasurvey-my.sharepoint.com/ ... A?e=4nngYo

Not sure how to get it in a format for the flash tool though. Quectel did say to use tool 4.19 or higher to flash.
That is the latest version for sure.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:20 am That is the latest version for sure.
Thank you so much for the walk through!!

Mine errors out on me, does it have to be in a m.2 usb enclosure? I have a usb pci-e adapter with the pci-e to m.2 adapter installed in it.

I suspect I have bricked the em160 at this point because it errors out about half way through the update :(. I haven't put it back in the WG1608 yet to check though
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

It should be fine to use an adapter, but I would get a usb to m.2 direct adapter.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:16 pm It should be fine to use an adapter, but I would get a usb to m.2 direct adapter.
I finally got it to work, for some reason it did not like usb 3 ports.
Again thank you so much for your help :)!!!
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

I'm not having any luck with the EM160 in the wg1608. My old setup was the we826 with the ep06a. It would connect to band 4 and ca with 12. I would see speeds around 60mbps.

With the wg1608 I added another omni flat panel below the existing panel on the pole for 4x4. Updated goldenorb to the 12/21 build. I can get it to connect to 66 and ca with 12 or connect with 4 and ca with 12 but my speeds are only around 20mbps. The only way it will connect to tmobile is in mbim mode. It will fail in qmi mode. The em160 is on the latest 04 firmware.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't the em160 be at least as good as the ep06a?
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

To add to this, if I swap out the em160 with the ep06a into the wg1608 and change nothing else I get band 4 with ca 12 and my speeds are back to 60mbps
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Are you mixing the antennas?

One 2x2 MIMO antenna should be attached to M and D/6 and the other 2x2 MIMO antenna should be hooked to M1 and M2. If they are mixed you will have issues I believe.

See if the modem is set to Data centric use.

Code: Select all

AT+QNWPREFCFG="ue_usage_setting",1
Though I honestly don't know if this setting really does anything for us here.

For some odd reason MBIM seems to work better with these routers. QMI sometimes wont connect at all in some cases, in others it doesn't change a thing, and it will connect either way.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:59 pm Are you mixing the antennas?

One 2x2 MIMO antenna should be attached to M and D/6 and the other 2x2 MIMO antenna should be hooked to M1 and M2. If they are mixed you will have issues I believe.

For some odd reason MBIM seems to work better with these routers. QMI sometimes wont connect at all in some cases, in others it doesn't change a thing, and it will connect either way.

Forehead slap lol... I believe I have the antennas hooked up wrong. Right now one antenna is on the two most left ports and the other is on the two most right. I haven't confirmed this yet but will later today. I will also check the data centric setting.

Thank you so much Didney!!

I will report back later tonight or early tomorrow
Poorguyyy

Post by Poorguyyy »

BillA wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:04 am Try running the latest firmware version WG1608-GO2020-12-02, it usually contains bug fixes.

Set Connection Modes
AT+QCFG="usbnet",1 - ECM

Nice info! I am looking to build the same setup as well, but the firmware link for wg1608 is now unaccessible. I have browsed through the goldenorb site but not knowing which one is working best, do you happen to have back up download source of the firmware? Thanks a lot.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Poorguyyy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:14 am Nice info! I am looking to build the same setup as well, but the firmware link for wg1608 is now unaccessible. I have browsed through the goldenorb site but not knowing which one is working best, do you happen to have back up download source of the firmware? Thanks a lot.
Hot off the presses! http://ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/WG1608-GO2020-12-24c.zip

This version uses openWRT 18.06.07

The previous version: http://ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/WG1608-GO2020-12-21.zip
Based on openWRT 19....something
:)
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:59 pm Are you mixing the antennas?

So I definitely had the antennas hooked up wrong. I changed those to be correct and ran the AT+QNWPREFCFG="ue_usage_setting",1. That might have helped a little bit but not much.

I flashed the new 12/24 build and everything seems to be running on pair with my old we826 & ep06a setup now :) (maybe a little slower but can't tell yet)

Once again :) thank you for walking me through getting this figured out!

Hopefully in the next couple of days I can order the https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... onnectors/

I am currently running these https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... o-antenna/. I had originally ordered some antennas off of aliexpress and they just didn't perform.
BillA

Post by BillA »

JoshKelly wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:33 pm So I definitely had the antennas hooked up wrong. I changed those to be correct and ran the AT+QNWPREFCFG="ue_usage_setting",1. That might have helped a little bit but not much.

I flashed the new 12/24 build and everything seems to be running on pair with my old we826 & ep06a setup now :) (maybe a little slower but can't tell yet)

Once again :) thank you for walking me through getting this figured out!

Hopefully in the next couple of days I can order the https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... onnectors/

I am currently running these https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... o-antenna/. I had originally ordered some antennas off of aliexpress and they just didn't perform.

If you're feeling adventurous, you may try ECM mode, which is supposed to reconnect automatically on link disconnects. YMMV

AT+QCFG="usbnet",1
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

BillA wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:44 am If you're feeling adventurous, you may try ECM mode, which is supposed to reconnect automatically on link disconnects. YMMV

AT+QCFG="usbnet",1
Thank you BillA, I gave it a shot, it just says failed to connect to network like when in qmi
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Any ideas why all my smart devices, ie tp-link light switches and honey well themorstat will not work after swapping out the we826 with the wg1608? I have an edge router 12 and a tplink ap for my network.

I can put the we826 with wifix back in place of the wg1608 and everything works great. Is there a firewall I need to turn off on the wg1608 with the latest goldenorb to let the edge router 12 do its thing?
BillA

Post by BillA »

JoshKelly wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:45 pm Any ideas why all my smart devices, ie tp-link light switches and honey well themorstat will not work after swapping out the we826 with the wg1608? I have an edge router 12 and a tplink ap for my network.

I can put the we826 with wifix back in place of the wg1608 and everything works great. Is there a firewall I need to turn off on the wg1608 with the latest goldenorb to let the edge router 12 do its thing?

If you would like to connect a second router behind a mobile router, there are two setup options available:

1. Use the mobile router in regular modem/router mode with DHCP/firewall enabled, connected to a second router in access-point/DMZ mode with DHCP/firewall disabled.

The first option is simpler, since it's usually easier to set the second router into access-point/DMZ mode by disabling DHCP/firewall and turning on DMZ, letting the mobile router do all DHCP functions. The main advantage is simplicity, but most importantly the carrier bypass settings (HostName/DNS/MAC/TTL/etc.) may not work properly if setting them on the second router, which is something to consider carefully.

2. Use the mobile router in bypass/modem-only/DMZ mode with DHCP disabled, connected to a second router in normal router mode with DHCP/firewall enabled.

OpenWRT routers do not have a true bypass/DMZ mode, however you can port forward all traffic to a second router as described below. For the second method you can try the following settings on the mobile router before connecting the second router:

Network > Firewall > Port Forwards > remove all Port Forwards entries (if any)
Under New Port Forwards click ADD the following parameters:
Name: DMZ
Protocol: TCP+UDP
External zone: WAN
External Port: <Leave it empty>
Internal zone: LAN
Internal IP address: <Leave it empty or enter the IP address of your device which is not working, which you can get from "Status > Overview">
Internal port: <Leave it empty>

To finish, click on Save&Apply, and restart the router.
You may have to play around with the "Internal IP address / Internal port" settings to get it right.

Disable DHCP and IPv4v6 on the mobile router by going to:
Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > General Setup tab > IPv6 Assignment Length > select "Disabled"
Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > Common Configuration > Advanced Settings tab > Use Builtin IPv6 Management > uncheck the box
Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > DHCP Server > Advanced Settings tab > Dynamic DHCP > uncheck the box
Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > DHCP Server > IPv6 Settings tab > select "Disabled" on the first three items
Network > Interfaces > LAN > Edit > DHCP Server > General Setup tab > Ignore Interface > check the box
To finish, click on Save&Apply, and restart the router.

Since the mobile router no longer serves DHCP (the second router will), disable both WiFi 2G/5G:
Network > Wireless > one line below radio.0 (SSID: xxx, Mode: Master) click DISABLE (to disable 2G WiFi)
Network > Wireless > one line below radio.1 (SSID: xxx, Mode: Master) click DISABLE (to disable 5G WiFi if available)
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

BillA wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:21 pm Obviously there are some hardware/software differences between those routers, but you should be able to tweak it to make it work. If you're using any kind of router behind a mobile router, you would want to set the mobile router into bypass mode so it doesn't do any routing/firewall functions, and let the main router do all the work. It would't hurt to also put the mobile router into DMZ mode (well, pseudo-DMZ since there's no true DMZ on OpenWRT... there are some posts on here on how to do it).
Thank you so much BillA, I will follow the guide 🙂
ratledge

Post by ratledge »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:57 pm The latest version fw for the EM160R-GL is version A04. (EM160RGLAUR02A04M4G)

Actually I just got a few from my supplier in China with A05 firmware on them, but I do not have it in flashable format yet. The code is exactly the same except "R02A04M4G" becomes "R02A05M4G"...
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

ratledge wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:02 pm Actually I just got a few from my supplier in China with A05 firmware on them, but I do not have it in flashable format yet. The code is exactly the same except "R02A04M4G" becomes "R02A05M4G"...
I shot my Quectel rep a message. See what they give. Maybe theres an A06 :)
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:20 am That is the latest version for sure.
Here is another version they sent me, will be some time before I can update:
https://arkomasurvey-my.sharepoint.com/ ... Q?e=ihYgPI

Maybe the CA problems are fixed?
Tom franz
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tom franz »

I have the same setup WG1608 the EM160 with the new firmware, and cant get more then 20 down and 12 up 3xca. Followed all the steps here and still no better, modem will not work in QMI mode.
i have 2 other routers 1 we826 with EM12 and i can pull 80 down and 25 up on 1 ca the other is a mofi4500 sim 2 and it does 40 down and 12 up.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Are you using the 19.07 or 18.06 version of rooter? I had almost the exact same issue. I had to switch back to the 18.06 based version. Also make sure your antennas are connected correctly
Tom franz

Post by Tom franz »

I'm sure the antenna was correct, I put the stock antenna back on for now. firmware check shows update available but can not get the page to open just shows page not found.

http://ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/WG1608-GO2020-12-24c.zip
that has 18.06

http://ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/WG1608-GO2020-12-21.zip
that has the 19
both show page not found.

I also noticed that a good bit of the commands don't work either.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

Tom franz wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:46 pm I'm sure the antenna was correct, I put the stock antenna back on for now. firmware check shows update available but can not get the page to open just shows page not found.

http://ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/WG1608-GO2020-12-24c.zip
that has 18.06

http://ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/WG1608-GO2020-12-21.zip
that has the 19
both show page not found.

I also noticed that a good bit of the commands don't work either.
Sorry for the delay, below are some links:

Here is the 18.07 build dairyman made with some of the 19.07 updates, which works the best for me: https://arkomasurvey-my.sharepoint.com/ ... w?e=7kPnxp

Here is the latest 19.07 build: https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/W ... -01-25.zip

I have not had much luck with any of the 19.07 builds yet, dairyman thinks it could be newer drivers related. Also note it is hit and miss as well, as some users are reporting no issues.

I have tmobile service and another issue I am having is I cannot get IPv4 DNS to work. I can take the sim out and pop in a phone and have no issues. Even if I turn custom TTL off it still does not work. IPv6 works but I am new to it.
Things I have tested for DNS problems:
-I can put the sim in my EP06 in the WG1608 or a WE826 and IPv4 DNS works as should
-Disabling custom TTL, with no success
-I can put the EM160 in an m.2 enclosure and connect directly to a PC and DNS IPv4 works correctly
-Tethering that same enclosure to either WG1608 or WE826, DNS still does not work correctly

I don't know what else to test. What I have gathered, from someone that has not idea how the software works, is that there seems to be a driver issue with rooter/goldenorb in general (maybe specific to tmobile) for the EM160.

I would also like to note that the internet works fine, you are just stuck with tmobiles DNS servers on "dumb" devices.
Tom franz

Post by Tom franz »

Thank you for the links, I will try them out. When I did the update on the WE826 I started have issues with the EM12 modem not connecting, it would show signal in the at commands but no signal in modem page, I uploaded a older version (I'll have to see what version it was when I get home) but it looked like it might have fixed the problem for the WE826/EM12, I'll have to try the EM12 with WG1608 to see what the download speed would be.

Return to “General and Unclassified”