Firmware differences

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Adm1jtg

Firmware differences

Post by Adm1jtg »

I have a wg3526 and it seems there are 4 possible firmwares to laod on it:

Latest WIFIX version dated 5-16 (not sure is this is based on openwrt 18.06.7 or 18.06.8)
Latest Rooter version dated 3-01 (based on openwrt 18.06.7)
Openwrt 18.06.8 (Final and latest 18.x version)
Openwrt 19.07.04 (Latest version of openwrt)

I cannot really see a difference between WIFIX and ROOTER other then WIFIX doesnt clearly display what openwrt version its based one. All menus and options appear to be the same to my untrained eye.

I have read that WIFIX and ROOTER have more options for control over the modem. Can someone be a little more specific as to exactly what is better and if these extra things are in both WIFIX and Rooter or just one of them?

Is there any real advantage to running an openwrt 19.x version as it seems that there are no versions of WIFIX or ROOTER based on them? Is this intentional or just due to lack or time and resources with COVID and such?

Thanks in advance for all the help
chronicledmonocle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Firmware differences

Post by chronicledmonocle »

WiFix is for The Wireless Haven LLC routers. Its not supposed to be loaded onto non-The Wireless Haven routers, but the legality of this is dubious at best, since you can't claim rights to an open source GPL project.

GoldenOrb Rooter is a heavily modified OpenWRT distro made specifically for LTE-based routers and includes a bunch of UI tweaks to make LTE setups easier.

OpenWRT 18 and 19 are the previous stable and latest releases of OpenWRT. OpenWRT is a more general purpose WiFi router firmware that can be made to do LTE with a few packages or a custom-built firmware image you make yourself.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Firmware”