IMEI Change Benefit

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Prvt.N00b

IMEI Change Benefit

Post by Prvt.N00b »

I don't want to know if can be done and/or how is done, what I really want to discuss here if there is a real benefit of changing IMEI of a modem.

Can someone who have done it before share his experience?

Thanks.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: IMEI Change Benefit

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Hummm.

Are you moving an IMEI number from your phone to a modem?

OR

If not, what are you changing your IMEI number to .... a random number??

Short answer is no benefit .... only risk of bricking your phone and maybe your modem!!
Prvt.N00b

Post by Prvt.N00b »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:21 pm Hummm.

Are you moving an IMEI number from your phone to a modem?

OR

If not, what are you changing your IMEI number to .... a random number??

Short answer is no benefit .... only risk of bricking your phone and maybe your modem!!
I own a broken Mate 10 Huawei, so I thought I could use the IMEI if there are any benefits, otherwise I will keep my modem without any changes since is performing pretty well.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

To risk getting the FCC hammer on your person and business.

The real reason it's risked? To use a cellular service with an LTE Gateway router, meant to only be used on a cell phone or tablet. It further hides the real device and masquerades as the cell plans intended device.

The big bro depts categorize this under 'things terr0ristz do' and keeps that card until they want to use it with a big ole hammer. MANY get away with it, but its a risk for any business to engage in supporting it.

This is why Wireless Joint/fix does not condone talking about how to do it on this forum. Not worth losing everything.
Prvt.N00b

Post by Prvt.N00b »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:44 pm To risk getting the FCC hammer on your person and business.

The real reason it's risked? To use a cellular service with an LTE Gateway router, meant to only be used on a cell phone or tablet. It further hides the real device and masquerades as the cell plans intended device.

The big bro depts categorize this under 'things terr0ristz do' and keeps that card until they want to use it with a big ole hammer. MANY get away with it, but its a risk for any business to engage in supporting it.

This is why Wireless Joint/fix does not condone talking about how to do it on this forum. Not worth losing everything.
things are more clear for me about it know, feel free to close, remove or delete this topic.

Thanks again

Return to “General and Unclassified”