Setup Tutorial for OpenVPn on Rooter firmware

How To Tutorials related to Routers and Firmware
Forum rules
This forum is for tutorials only--not for help or assistance.
t-bilt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Setup Tutorial for OpenVPn on Rooter firmware

Post by t-bilt »

I'm looking for a newbie tutorial that will offer a step by step setup procedure for configuring an OVPN file within the current R00ter firmware on a WG3526. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Infector944

Re: Setup Tutorial for OpenVPn on Rooter firmware

Post by Infector944 »

I haven't been able to get mine to work yet, I'm down to learn too.
corywf

Post by corywf »

This worked for me on my WE826 running openwrt. I used the command line commands rather than uploading the opvpn file.

https://forums.torguard.net/index.php?/ ... vpn-setup/
ukdutypaid

Post by ukdutypaid »

HI folks.

I have a WG3526 here. I've clicked every combination of everything I can think of, including adding PUSH options into the The Wireless Haven 18.06 firmware for weeks now. Can I get a basic OpenVPN server to work? No I cannot.
I do get a connection but I cannot route traffic. I swear it has worked with a changed IP a couple of times. However, it lasts about nano second or so and I can never seem to repliate it to be consistent (never mind improve speed/tweak settings) I have had an OpenVPN Server running reliably before, this on an old Win7 box and even have tried pasting the server config settings over (both through LUCI and in the config itself via SSH); no joy.
I assume that most of what one needs is set up out of the box with both The Wireless Haven and ROOTer but there must be necessary tweaks to get it work as an Internet tunnel.
I've tried PUSHING redirect-gateway def1 till I'm blue in the face too. (With/out auto/local and both in the Client config too. This along with dhcp-option DNS 208.67.222.222. However, from what I can work out from the interface there are check boxes that are supposed to enable that anyway. 'Route VPN client traffic over internet'.
Does anybody actually have either and or a working Server/Client Config setup or indeed screen shots of what they've clicked. Clients I have to test it with are Win10 and Android. Half the issue is that it's not running through WAN but WAN1 and I'm as confused at hell. I've seen the torguard post but that's for a the router as a client rather than a router.

Somebody must have got the thing to work, surely? The Kernal on both The Wireless Haven and ROOTer won't take either Wireguard nor Softether so I'm unable to play with with of those too. Can anybody please put me and anybody else who is banging their head against a brick wall with this out of your misery? Yes, there will be tweaks for everybody's own situation but a basic 'Get it to work, guide' would kill this off once and for all.
ukdutypaid

Post by ukdutypaid »

Finally got it working. It did involve a whole reset but we're now there. VPN Server, (plus some custom commands in the config) DNS over DOH, access to SSD/SD. Only taken about a month mind and a hell of a lot of fiddling.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

ukdutypaid wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:23 pm Finally got it working. It did involve a whole reset but we're now there. VPN Server, (plus some custom commands in the config) DNS over DOH, access to SSD/SD. Only taken about a month mind and a hell of a lot of fiddling.
Any chance you could write a tutorial and post it in the tutorials section?

Return to “Tutorials”