The Grass is Always Greener...

Topics Related to Cell Towers, Frequencies and Bands
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
R1250GSA

The Grass is Always Greener...

Post by R1250GSA »

The FCC, in April 2020, opened up a large greenfield spectrum of 1,200 MHz for unlicensed use, 5.925GHz to 7.125GHz
https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-opens- ... ensed-uses

Qualcomm has a pretty write up, and uses a new 5G term "NR-U"
And at some point 5G was allowed to nibble at the LTE-LAA B46 frequency range.
And the private CBRS range may have been folded into the NR-U as well.
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2020/ ... can-do-you

I look forward to Gen2 5G modules and a 5G full spectrum(0.6 GHz to 7.125 GHz) all in one 4x4 MIMO Antenna.
BrandonDillon

Re: The Grass is Always Greener...

Post by BrandonDillon »

R1250GSA what's your setup look like currently? I would PM but they are disabled. Subscribe me to your wireless newsletter lol
toddw

Post by toddw »

Same here!
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

Hah, well alright then...

Yeah, being able to PM would be nice.
The board is a great source of info to get up to speed, I try to give back to offset what I take.

My setup is "in progress"... as soon as I have some meat on the bone, I will share more.

I have a Raspberry Pi4B-8GB with six fab hat and Quectel EC25-AFX for basic testing.
Have a The Wireless Haven USB enclosure awaiting the arrival of a Cat-20 Sierra EM7690 and a Cat-7 Sierra EM7411 NAM.
In the interim, I am improving my RPi4B setup, running off of an M.2 NVMe SSD instead of the SD Card, deciding on what flavor of linux to run and how best to harden/secure the rascal, etc...
Now that it is winter, I have sudo line of sight, from my attic, thru naked trees, to the tower.
I pulled cat6 and power to my attic this weekend.
The only void in my project is antennas, I just have a bunch of the little Cradlepoint 600-6000 blades right now.
The US version of the Poynting XPOL-2-5G is my current favorite but I have not pulled the trigger yet, and I would need two, ouch $$$$.
Sadly, it is too new to be Black Friday sale fodder.

That about sums it up for now...
BrandonDillon

Post by BrandonDillon »

Keep us posted on the developments. I'm especially interested in the final RPi4 config. I've got a similar side project going with mine, however I'm ignorant when it comes to best practices for Linux stuff, especially network security configuration.

I've been curious how the XPOL-2-5G would compare to the XL WiFix enclosure myself. I also need the 4x4 MIMO, so it's either one XL WiFix or two of those Poyntings.

Do you plan on doing any WAN bonding with the multiple modems?
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

Yep, will keep you posted.

As for Linux security, if you want to limit your Linux involvement, an option is to run OpenWRT or other router build on the Raspberry Pi, providing a more hardened router out of the box.
Although Linux can be very secure, it is NOT out of the box and it is a bunch of work to cross all the T's and dot the I's.

Antenna...it is good to drag your feet every so often...
thewirelesshaven now has a bunch of new options.
Antenna choice really is custom to your situation, how much signal improvement you need, your wallet, your tolerance for aesthetics, etc....
Spatial diversity helps maximize your bitrate, so with an all-in-one MIMO, it could be limiting.
For 4x4 MiMo, I think dual 2x2 is a good compromise.
For me, directional panels make sense, the angle to the tower is about 100deg from the side of the house, I don't think I need a pole, should be able to keep the windage aspect low, and hopefully paint them when complete to blend in.
Poynting is working on a 4x4 MIMO all-in-one as well, they do very good documentation and testing.
Poynting vs. The Wireless Haven vs. new entrant ???
Hopefully others will share their experiences before I have to buy.

Yes, I have plans for load sharing and failover but not necessarily WAN bonding.

Return to “Towers, Frequencies and Bands”