ISP wants a MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM4_COMBO...alternatives?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
consciencecon

ISP wants a MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM4_COMBO...alternatives?

Post by consciencecon »

Hello all!

Im rural and have been using ATT wireless for internet access for going on 8 years. Im done with being charged for overages. Ive already invested in a number of products. Currently I am using a Fortigate 60E with an A313 sierra usb modem for one connection and an ATT branded Netgear MF279 (ugh...got suckered into that one for $200). So Im looking into unlimited solutions and cam across Ubifi (anyone use this? Other recommendations?) which seems good. However they are requiring me to purchase a MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM4_COMBO for $320!!! I asked their support if I could use another device and they said no because of the chipset used in the MoFi. Is this BS? Can I just purchase an MC7455 modem and connect it to my existing firewall/routing infrastructure? Or even use the MF279? Ive done a ton of searching and cant find a solid answer so any feedback would be appreciated!!!
swwifty

Re: ISP wants a MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM4_COMBO...alternatives?

Post by swwifty »

I'm not going to publicly bash Ubifi here (I started out with them, and eventually canceled them), but you can do much better, and not have to buy a Mofi 4500.

Sending you a PM.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM4_COMBO ($320) = WE826 + MC7455 ($170)

AT&T Prepaid Unlimited iPad Data Plan = $29

Verizon Prepaid Unlimited Hotspot Plan = $65
consciencecon

Post by consciencecon »

Wow. Ok ok ok! Thank you both so much for the information! Ill look at the details and check out the PM. If I can make the ATT plan work that would be awesome. And if not Ill look at the WE826 and MC7455. If I understand correctly the MC7455 is PCI interface so I would need to have a router that accepts that? Or can I convert that to USB so I can use the modem with my Fortigate or one of my Tomato routers (or I guess maybe GoldenOrb?). I alreay have a robust router/wifi solution at my place and Id rather just integrate into that without having to purchase another router...

Again thanks for the info and quick response!!! :)
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

consciencecon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:45 pm If I understand correctly the MC7455 is PCI interface so I would need to have a router that accepts that? Or can I convert that to USB so I can use the modem with my Fortigate or one of my Tomato routers (or I guess maybe GoldenOrb?). I alreay have a robust router/wifi solution at my place and Id rather just integrate into that without having to purchase another router...
You can use a USB to Mini PCI-E enclosure behind any router that supports the MC7455.

GoldenOrb is one such firmware and a lot of routers do support it. You can check to see if your router is supported HERE although the next release scheduled for next month will support a few more devices. May check HERE for the latest beta versions.
joshb86
Been thanked: 0

Post by joshb86 »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:11 pm MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM4_COMBO ($320) = WE826 + MC7455 ($170)

Hello,

I’m new here, but I’m trying to find the unlimited data plan you listed from ATT. I currently get internet via a line of sight microwave dish hitting a water tower. The service is... horrible. My only other options are Satellite which the latency kills me. So I started looking into LTE/4G options. When I came across unifi it seemed like a good service, but I knew I could probably do the same on my own with hardware of choice.

Do you mind sharing a link to the specific plan you mentioned?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I will PM you.
Mbezzlr
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mbezzlr »

Hi Jim,
Would you mind PM’ing me the same information? I’m also looking for a carrier. My ATT DSL drops out regularly and I need a solution. I was looking at Sprint ($60/month for 100GB) and hoping to slide that into a The Wireless Haven modem. But I’ve been reading about a lot of people ha i g Sprint issues lately. What would your suggestion be for me starting out fresh?
Thanks
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Mbezzlr wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:52 pm Hi Jim,
Would you mind PM’ing me the same information? I’m also looking for a carrier. My ATT DSL drops out regularly and I need a solution. I was looking at Sprint ($60/month for 100GB) and hoping to slide that into a The Wireless Haven modem. But I’ve been reading about a lot of people ha i g Sprint issues lately. What would your suggestion be for me starting out fresh?
Thanks
A PM has been sent.

It would depend on your overall needs to what device and modem would work best.

As a good started, look at the WE826-T2 and the Sierra Wireless MC7455.

If you want something more plug and play, look at the Cradlepoint routers.
soundwavz

Post by soundwavz »

Mind sharing the skinny on the AT&T Unlimited Data for Prepaid Tablet?
crayoncvt

Post by crayoncvt »

jimhelms I have some questions for you. I just ordered the suggested we826 and mc7455 but have some follow up questions. Thanks!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

You may contact us via the store contact form, or if it is technical related, start a new topic and post there.

If it is build related, refer to this TUTORIAL.
crayoncvt

Post by crayoncvt »

It was regarding sim and the plans as you have mentioned in the post before
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I see. Send us an message on the contact form, and ask they forward the information on getting the plan.
AshleyAppleton

Post by AshleyAppleton »

I bought a MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM4. Also purchased a bring your own phone or tablet sim card from Walmart. I bought a $85 prepaid at&t card at Walmart which should get me unlimited data and 10gb hot spot. Will this work ???and what do I need to do to activate this and get it working i know i will need to activate with a imei number. Should I just use the one off a old cell phone that's not in use???
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

AshleyAppleton wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:32 pm I bought a MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM4. Also purchased a bring your own phone or tablet sim card from Walmart. I bought a $85 prepaid at&t card at Walmart which should get me unlimited data and 10gb hot spot. Will this work ???and what do I need to do to activate this and get it working i know i will need to activate with a imei number. Should I just use the one off a old cell phone that's not in use???
You could, or send us a message from one of the contact forms on the The Wireless Haven store, and we will send you more information.
KenAllen

Post by KenAllen »

Hi Jim,

I am struggling to get a good ISP match for my home internet - not quite rural, but only one DSL provider on my street.

I can work through to design and manage the WiFi networks, the router, and the LTE modem. What I am having trouble with is getting the ISP part resolved - we have my home office and my wife's home office to keep connected and would really prefer unlimited data as a single phone plan andnot get caught up in the throttling if we reach a limit.

I tried PMing you, but it would not let me since I am a brand new member.

Any help is appreciated.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

KenAllen wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:08 pm

I tried PMing you, but it would not let me since I am a brand new member.

Any help is appreciated.
Just send us a message (using the contact form) on the The Wireless Haven store.
longo

Post by longo »

I too was told that I need a mofi to use Ubifi. Could someone tell what is a better alternative. I current have a PTP radio that I pay a lot for monthly, but was hoping to get this in hopes of saving a little dough. Our PTP service sometimes is crappy, but only gets better in the wee hours of the night probably due to network congestion.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

longo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:43 pm I too was told that I need a mofi to use Ubifi. Could someone tell what is a better alternative. I current have a PTP radio that I pay a lot for monthly, but was hoping to get this in hopes of saving a little dough. Our PTP service sometimes is crappy, but only gets better in the wee hours of the night probably due to network congestion.
If you message Jim or contact him through the thewirelesshaven.com website (link is above a few posts in this thread) he can help you with an alternative. You don't need to use a mofi to get service with Ubifi, but also you don't need Ubifi either.

Do you have service with a WISP, not sure what you mean by PTP service?
longo

Post by longo »

It is a WISP. I'll try to contact him. If anyone has any suggestions please advise. I've seen some plans on ebay that state unlimited throttling and data, but I'm not sure if this is accurate. BTW I'm located just outside San Antonio by Lytle, pretty much a dead zone for Spectrum and Fiber services, but I live about 1.5 miles from 2 ATT towers that have very great signal.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

longo wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:11 pm It is a WISP. I'll try to contact him. If anyone has any suggestions please advise. I've seen some plans on ebay that state unlimited throttling and data, but I'm not sure if this is accurate. BTW I'm located just outside San Antonio by Lytle, pretty much a dead zone for Spectrum and Fiber services, but I live about 1.5 miles from 2 ATT towers that have very great signal.
Sorry to hear your WISP isn't that great. Sounds like they need to do some upgrades.
MASzone

Post by MASzone »

I actually have this MOFI4500. Can you PM me some service solutions. I am in need of unlimited. thanks, Miguel
NoobNeutralizer

Post by NoobNeutralizer »

JimHelms wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:24 amI will PM you.
Will you please PM me the info?

Thank you...
Garbage internet

Post by Garbage internet »

I know I'm late to the conversation but I'm looking for alternatives to UbiFi. I also know that UbiFi has a service that offers a static IP address to use so you can game on Xbox with a moderate or open NAT type. I need something similar out of an ISP.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I believe there is a facebook group called 'unlimited hotspot....' something or other. May want to check there.

Ive not heard of a service that easily offers a true static public ip. More likely they offer a public dynamic ip.

Anyway. There are more and more mvno offers out there.
Sprint can be done from Mobile Citizen, PCs for People, CalyxInstitute.org
ATT can be gotten directly via ipad/tablet plans, and many various mvno's
Tmobile, and Verizon, mvno's abound

MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator)
A few.... Olive IP, UnlimitedVille, UnlimitedIRL, Ubifi, etc

Just search things like Rural internet LTE etc
Garbage internet

Post by Garbage internet »

I need to stick at&t bc t mobile & Sprint are non starters here. Verizon has started being terrible in the last 8 months or so. I just need to figure what all equipment I need to get for the setup
BillA

Post by BillA »

swwifty wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:16 pm If you message Jim or contact him through the thewirelesshaven.com website (link is above a few posts in this thread) he can help you with an alternative. You don't need to use a mofi to get service with Ubifi, but also you don't need Ubifi either.

Do you have service with a WISP, not sure what you mean by PTP service?

PTP means Point-To-Point packet radio service, with the advantage of really long range (over 30 miles), which can deliver up to 100Mbps (in the real world is less than half), and it's expensive compared to cellular. In some areas where there's no cellular service, PTP or PTM (Point-To-Multi radio) is the only choice besides satellite.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

BillA wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:55 pm PTP means Point-To-Point packet radio service, with the advantage of really long range (over 30 miles), which can deliver up to 100Mbps (in the real world is less than half), and it's expensive compared to cellular. In some areas where there's no cellular service, PTP or PTM (Point-To-Multi radio) is the only choice besides satellite.
I'm well aware, just didn't know what he meant by PTP. Never heard of WISP service referenced as that. I know some WISPs will do PTP service for commercial users, but not typical for residential.
longo

Post by longo »

It's very common on the outskirts of san antonio area. Kinda of a monopoly for us. Vtx took over rock solid from my sources. Crowded network makes it's difficult to use. If only I can find a card that would support the AWS band to take full advantage of lte, but using mofi I still dont think it would support it. I wish I could get cable service out here, there is cable line on the poles but I dont think spectrum would invest in the suburbs/ranch community. Unless your a subdivision or something of that nature. Will see where trump goes with this initiative for internet for all rural America.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

longo wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:25 am It's very common on the outskirts of san antonio area. Kinda of a monopoly for us. Vtx took over rock solid from my sources. Crowded network makes it's difficult to use. If only I can find a card that would support the AWS band to take full advantage of lte, but using mofi I still dont think it would support it. I wish I could get cable service out here, there is cable line on the poles but I dont think spectrum would invest in the suburbs/ranch community. Unless your a subdivision or something of that nature. Will see where trump goes with this initiative for internet for all rural America.
i wouldn't count on the gov't to deliver internet to rural america. it's small businesses started by folks that live in rural america that are solving the problem, not the govt.
ehDuh

Post by ehDuh »

JimHelms wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:29 pm A PM has been sent.

It would depend on your overall needs to what device and modem would work best.

As a good started, look at the WE826-T2 and the Sierra Wireless MC7455.

If you want something more plug and play, look at the Cradlepoint routers.
Hi, brand new ubifi (3 days in) user here but still looking for the best deal. Could you send me more information via PM as well Jim?
banks16

Post by banks16 »

Hello All,
I just joined and I am also looking for a Provider as mine has recently closed. Any information would be helpful. I do have a Mofi 4500.

Thanks!
BillA

Post by BillA »

banks16 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:41 pm Hello All,
I just joined and I am also looking for a Provider as mine has recently closed. Any information would be helpful. I do have a Mofi 4500.

Thanks!

Check out this post for a comprehensive list of prepaid plans.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790
Kyle23u

Post by Kyle23u »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:11 pm MOFI4500-4GXELTE-SIM4_COMBO ($320) = WE826 + MC7455 ($170)

Hey I'm new here and interested in getting something for unlimited data and was wandering if you could PM what you were gonna say not in public for alternative
Schade

Post by Schade »

Hello, I am on an unlimitedville mofi 4500 setup, and am looking for alternatives. The price is high and my devices are always in a state of ‘no internet available’; very frustrating. Any help is much appreciated.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Schade wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:38 am Hello, I am on an unlimitedville mofi 4500 setup, and am looking for alternatives. The price is high and my devices are always in a state of ‘no internet available’; very frustrating. Any help is much appreciated.
Which plan are you currently using?
tim829

Post by tim829 »

I would love some suggestions on Ubifi alternatives. A new AT&T tower just went up 1.1 miles away so I'm looking at switching from Verizon over to a AT&T service. I thought Ubifi was the way to go but after looking through the forum I'm seeing a lot of people say $99 is overpriced!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

tim829 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:14 am I would love some suggestions on Ubifi alternatives. A new AT&T tower just went up 1.1 miles away so I'm looking at switching from Verizon over to a AT&T service. I thought Ubifi was the way to go but after looking through the forum I'm seeing a lot of people say $99 is overpriced!
ATT will sell you an unlimited ipad plan to use one your cell tower all day for $20 a month. Post Paid, with credit check, NOT prepaid. Prepaid ship has sailed into the shadow realm.
Oemail9813

Post by Oemail9813 »

Jim, can you forward details to me as well. I am planning on taking the kids out in an rv to get away from the school and this virus. Any direction you can provide will be great. We will be on many zoom calls and doing coursework outlined by the school with three kids.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The Hotspot plan isnt available anymore, but many people are using Visible now for Verizon.

the ipad plan on prepaid doesnt work anymore, but a post paid plan does. It works best if you have an ATT phone plan, then add on an ipad unlimited plan that is supposed to share your phones data, but you must make sure they add on the "Unlimited" plan, not the BS plans that are like 15GB of data.

The WE826 and MC7455 is kind of old hat. Check thewirelesshaven.com for options. Like the NEXR5GO router with a Sierra Wireless EM7411 modem, or even a Quectel EM12G modem.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”