mofi 4500 and Visible SIM with Verizon

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
rbridges
Been thanked: 0

mofi 4500 and Visible SIM with Verizon

Post by rbridges »

I think I'm going to go this route just for simplicity sake. Any reason it shouldn't work if I have a good Verizon signal? Just want some feedback before I pull the plug.

There are a lot of used 4500 available. This is a new listing on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/MOFI4500-4GXeLTE ... MPSE438QT2
gscheb

Re: mofi 4500 and Visible SIM with Verizon

Post by gscheb »

Would go with something other than Mofi. Mofi cost more and can have issues with out them supporting you.
For example this on ebay is less money more modem power and has wires and outdoor antenna.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WE826-T2-4G-LT ... e31089a03d

Will say those wires are not the best choice.
rbridges

Re: mofi 4500 and Visible SIM with usVerizon

Post by rbridges »

So would the we826 be a better choice? Used mofis are selling for around $200 give or take.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

Not sure what your budget is but you can get a prebuilt wg3526 with an ep06 modem all put together and already loaded for like $275 and the 826'a for about $200
rbridges

Post by rbridges »

I wouldn't say budget is not an issue, but I'll pay for whatever works. Is the pre built on Wireless Joint store?
Adm1jtg

Re: mofi 4500 and Visible SIM with usVerizon

Post by Adm1jtg »

rbridges wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:39 pm So would the we826 be a better choice? Used mofis are selling for around $200 give or take.
Just updated my post. When you do get something be sure you get the modem you want. the mofi sim 4 uses a sierra 7455 modem and the quectel ep06 is another great choice.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

rbridges wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:05 pm I wouldn't say budget is not an issue, but I'll pay for whatever works. Is the pre built on Wireless Joint store?
the The Wireless Haven store is closed again, so no.... someone i bought my modem from but not sure I am allowed to post information like that on here. If I could figure out how to send a PM i would send you the info. The only reason I mentioned the models I did is they are hard to find ATM but really the best choices.

update: This is the vendor I dealt with, top notch support and decent pricing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZBT-WE826Q-EP0 ... 3526881559

He also does sell the wg3526 in many configs, and no I dont get kickbacks or anything I was just very impressed with his support and since the The Wireless Haven store is closed again.....

Whats your situtation... close to a tower? lots of trees? mountains in the way? poor signal or string signal on your phone? Do you know is you can get band 66 on verizon in your area?
rbridges

Post by rbridges »

Decent signal. It's around -115 dbm, but I bought a booster which gets us down to -80 dbm. it's a cabin in north georgia, so there are trees and mountains around. We have a decent open view to the north. Not sure about band 66.
FWIW, netflix, youtube and hulu stream pretty well on our phones.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

your better off then I was.... also in north ga but when I got here I was unable to even make a decent phone call and best signal was about -116 to -117 on a good day. The reason I asked all those questions is because based on your answers the folks here will recommend different options.

Are you planning to use the booster with your router or are you planning to mount seperate external antennas for it? Those mountains will make the setup a pretty good challenge for external antennas but it can be done I did it.

You say your have a decent open view to the north do you know if thats where your closest tower is? Obviously there will be trees abstructing but if the tower is indeed to the north how far away and is it clear from mountains and hills bettween you and it.

As far as a router I own the setup I mentioned earlier... the wg3526 with an ep06-a modem in it. I like that router better then the 826 (mofi is an 826 as well) because it has a few advantages:
gigabit ethernet ports
bigger metal case so better for keeping modem from overheating
5ghz wifi (though most use an external router hooked through the ethernet ports for wifi)
Ep06-A modem instead of Sierra mc7455 ONLY because the EP06 supports band 66 and the sierra doesnt
rbridges

Post by rbridges »

I bought the cel fi go-x. My apps show the closest tower was to the East, and the best signal I got was pointing it NE. Unless it's a bad idea, I was going to let the cel fi go-x boost the signal and let the router pick up the boosted signal. would the wg3526 and ep06 work for verizon?
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I am on verizon and the ep06 modem covers all the verizon bands including 66. What kind of upload/download speeds do you get on your phone through the booster? As without external antennas what you get on your phone is likely best case what you will get on your router.

For download speeds a 2 antenna config using something called mimo is typically better then using just the booster which is like using only a single antenna though boosted. Maybe this will help a little:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14tWiAsqfJk

Bottom line is with the setup we have been discussing you could aim the 2 whip style antennas that come with the unit at your booster panel and make it work. You may just get better results using 2 antennas, but again that depends on things like how far the tower is and how clear a shot you can get to it or near it vs how clear the signal is through your booster.
rbridges

Post by rbridges »

Thanks. I'll order the setup you recommended. Anything right now would be a huge step.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

rbridges wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:31 pm Thanks. I'll order the setup you recommended. Anything right now would be a huge step.
Cool, he doesnt have the wg3526's listed on ebay but he does have them. Just shoot him an email via ebay
rbridges

Post by rbridges »

I didn't catch it, but I ordered the router in your link. He said it should work fine. I messaged him about swapping routers to what you have, so I'll wait and see.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

rbridges wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:19 pm I didn't catch it, but I ordered the router in your link. He said it should work fine. I messaged him about swapping routers to what you have, so I'll wait and see.
No worries the one you got will work it's just missing a few nice too have features. If you keep the one in that link it is basically a mofi sim 4 with a better modem. Still a good solid unit. I just wanted gigabit ethernet and 5ghz wifi but neither is required to make things work.
rbridges

Post by rbridges »

Adm1jtg wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 pm No worries the one you got will work it's just missing a few nice too have features. If you keep the one in that link it is basically a mofi sim 4 with a better modem. Still a good solid unit. I just wanted gigabit ethernet and 5ghz wifi but neither is required to make things work.
The gigabit ethernet prob won't make too much difference, but the 5ghz could have been useful. Either way, I'm just stoked to be a step closer to getting this going. Thanks for your help.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

rbridges wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:44 pm The gigabit ethernet prob won't make too much difference, but the 5ghz could have been useful. Either way, I'm just stoked to be a step closer to getting this going. Thanks for your help.
If you want 5ghz you can easily get any dual band router and let it serve your wifi via ethernet. In fact most people prefer doing it that way.

Return to “General and Unclassified”