Antenna for Band 13, 10 miles line of sight

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
usr_bin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Antenna for Band 13, 10 miles line of sight

Post by usr_bin »

I have clean line of sight to a Verizon tower with only B13 about 10 miles from my house with no other towers available. I can pull it in, but the signal is not great even with a 7-10dB MIMO panel antenna. With RSRQ around -11 and SINR about 8 I can get around 3 megs down and 8 up on a good day, but I can drive over to the antenna and get 40+ down so I know if I can improve my signal I can get more speed.

I have an SM7565 modem and am willing to spend a little cash on good antennas and wiring. Is my best bet a pair of 13-16dB yagis tuned specifically to the 700-800MHz range like the link below? Or are there other solutions I should be considering? Thanks!

https://technicalantennas.com/products/ ... 0-mhz-yagi
Didneywhorl

Re: Antenna for Band 13, 10 miles line of sight

Post by Didneywhorl »

If you truly have a clean view to your tower, then yes I think the LDPA/Yagi antennas in the highest gain you can possibly get are best in this case.

Then have fun aiming them that far. Lots of patience. :)
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

usr_bin wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:28 pm I have clean line of sight to a Verizon tower with only B13 about 10 miles from my house with no other towers available. I can pull it in, but the signal is not great even with a 7-10dB MIMO panel antenna. With RSRQ around -11 and SINR about 8 I can get around 3 megs down and 8 up on a good day, but I can drive over to the antenna and get 40+ down so I know if I can improve my signal I can get more speed.

I have an SM7565 modem and am willing to spend a little cash on good antennas and wiring. Is my best bet a pair of 13-16dB yagis tuned specifically to the 700-800MHz range like the link below? Or are there other solutions I should be considering? Thanks!

https://technicalantennas.com/products/ ... 0-mhz-yagi
Are you sure the tower only has band 13 or is band 13 the only signal strong enough to be usable. I ask cause I am in the middle of cow country and use a tower literally in the middle of nowwhere on a small "main road" with no house around at all and I still have bands 2,4,5,13 and even 66. The other reason I mention this is my band 13 is one of the strogest available but the download speeds are absolutely horrible. If you have read my other posts you will see that in my case a weaker band with better quality works much better for me
usr_bin

Post by usr_bin »

Cellmapper says it's 13 only, and I've never gotten another band on a VZW/Visible SIM. I know it sounds crazy, but it's a crowded tower out in some valleys.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

usr_bin wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:30 pm Cellmapper says it's 13 only, and I've never gotten another band on a VZW/Visible SIM. I know it sounds crazy, but it's a crowded tower out in some valleys.
Easiest way to tell... drive to the tower, sit under it in your car with your phone or router rigged up and see what you see.
usr_bin

Post by usr_bin »

Yeah, tested this manually. Band 13 only. I'm going to try two generic pennant yagis I have on hand, but I'm still interested in doing a high-powered band-specific antenna.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

how did it go?

Return to “Questions and Support”