AER1600 speed and upgrading concerns

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Poorguyyy

AER1600 speed and upgrading concerns

Post by Poorguyyy »

Hi guys, I have reseached for a long time about what should I do and become more confused along the way, hope you guys can provide some suggestions on how to improve my internet speed and thank you so much. First off, I am currently using Cradlepoint AER1600LPE-VZ with Verizon sim in a community without Cable service provided.

At home: AER1600LPE-VZ=6-8Mbps down/ 2-3Mbps up (band 4)
Iphone= Roughly 8-10 Mbps down/ 2 Mbps up with 2 bars of signal (band 2)
Blocks away from home(~1.8mi): Iphone= 55-60Mbps down/ 35 Mbps up (band 66)

So as the result reveals, band 66 should be my optimal choice but the current MC400 embedded modem doesn't support band 66. Moreover, even my iphone couldn't catch band 66 sitting at home. Because of that, I have to come up with a plan of upgrading the setup and my plan is:

1. First, adding the newest 5g ready mc400-1200m modem to the router
2. Secondly, adding a directional antenna to receive band 66 signal

However, it comes up with couple of concerns to the plan.
1. First thing is am I still able to use the ATTERM method to band lock the modem?
2. Second, is a 10dbi gain directional antenna able to help me receiving at least 2-3 bars of signal from the tower roughly 2 miles away and even so, most antenna has only one connector whereas the new mc400-1200m has 4 cellular antenna port, how should I manage the antenna connectors?

Lastly, thank you again for reading my question and If you have any suggestion or answer, please commend below.
Didneywhorl

Re: AER1600 speed and upgrading concerns

Post by Didneywhorl »

The modem inside is a Telit LM960 modem if I recall correctly. It is'nt 5G ready as far as I know. For the AT commands you'll have to go with those. I';m fairly certain the ATTERM is a function of the router and will likely work fine with that modem.

I would go with a full set of antennas, 4 matched antennas. Start small, its cheaper. If you need better, then go bigger. They are fine side by side.
Poorguyyy

Re: AER1600 speed and upgrading concerns

Post by Poorguyyy »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:01 pm The modem inside is a Telit LM960 modem if I recall correctly. It is'nt 5G ready as far as I know. For the AT commands you'll have to go with those. I';m fairly certain the ATTERM is a function of the router and will likely work fine with that modem.

I would go with a full set of antennas, 4 matched antennas. Start small, its cheaper. If you need better, then go bigger. They are fine side by side.
Thanks for the commend, and I am waiting for the modem and 4 cradlepoint cellular antennas to arrive. :mrgreen:

Return to “General and Unclassified”