Modems and What they connect to.

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Cjaramillo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Modems and What they connect to.

Post by Cjaramillo »

Hey guys, so what does a modem exactly connect to? Like the quectal and Sierra wireless modules, what is the piece of equipment they are plugging into called? I’m looking to “build” my own using a quectal chip/module but can’t find any info on what the motherboard it plugs into is called or what it does. Thanks!
Didneywhorl

Re: Modems and What they connect to.

Post by Didneywhorl »

Cjaramillo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:02 pm Hey guys, so what does a modem exactly connect to? Like the quectal and Sierra wireless modules, what is the piece of equipment they are plugging into called? I’m looking to “build” my own using a quectal chip/module but can’t find any info on what the motherboard it plugs into is called or what it does. Thanks!
Sometimes you can plug them right into a laptop with the appropriate connector. Most modems that are category 6 and below use a mini PCIe slot connector (and the Telit LM960A18) and most of the newest modems Cat7 and above (though some exceptions exist) use the newer NGFF M.2 Key B connector (M.2 for short).

Mostly we plug them into "gateway" routers that have the M.2 or mini-PCIe port in the board. There are also USB adapters that convert the mpcie or m.2 board to usb, and then the usb plugs into a computer or router.
Didneywhorl

Re: Modems and What they connect to.

Post by Didneywhorl »

Check out the router tutorials for more details

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”