Should I be using a booster? Probably not

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
CatsHaveFourHands
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Should I be using a booster? Probably not

Post by CatsHaveFourHands »

I’ve been checking over this forum passionately for the past three days and I’m still a bit confused on what route to take for my situation.

First off, I purchased a Cel-Fi Go X (100db booster) to boost my T-Mobile signal. I literally have zero service on the entire property, but with the booster set up I’m able to squeeze out 1.5mbps/down and 0.2mpbs/up. My RSRP is -125, RSRQ -11, SINR 5. I’m grateful to get any service out here, but it’s tough justifying spending $1000 for the trickle I have.

The Go X does however have a pretty great app that tells me the strength of my signal on different carriers. It’s showing Verizon has RSRP is -112, RSRQ -10, SINR 12. I can’t see the tower, but the cell map shows that it’s around 3 miles away on top of a mountain. I don’t have a totally clear shot thru the trees in my area, but it’s close and much better than the T-Mobile tower, which is essentially nonexistent. That made me think I should just get a MiFi device.

But then I stumbled into the LTE router game and started reading about using the same Yagi antenna I use with the Go X but with the lte router. Which makes me wonder if I should just send the Go X back since I’m still in the return window.
I was planning on using the booster to then get the signal to the lte router or MiFi. However I’m starting to get pretty confused about which route to take and where I am making mistakes.

If I could get some pointers and gear suggestions. I’d be really grateful. Like what antenna should I use? Parabolic?

I hate the thought of spending $1000 just to realize I could gone a different route that was more adaptable.

Thanks!
terryjett

Re: Should I be using a booster? Probably not

Post by terryjett »

Welcome to the forum!

If I could make a suggestion: break your posts into paragraphs. Much easier for many people to follow/read :)

You did not mention what try of device you are using. Hotspot I assume? Model? Are you using one or two antennas for your home setup? Have a feeling that you are only using one since using booster.

Your T-Mobile signal is in the dirt for sure. I assume you know for fact that you are point your antenna(s) in the correct direction?

Do you have any neighbors that you can ask what carrier they use?

If you know for fact that Verizon tower is 3 miles away, highly doubtful would will need a booster. Only way to know for certain is to try it with and without. Normally a booster at this distance will cause issues by overloading the router/modem/hotspot with too much signal power.

A router like https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-rou ... fi-router/ will out perform any hotspot any day of the week. Kind of like comparing a bicycle to a motorcycle ...

You are sure to get a lot of help here for some really good folks.
CatsHaveFourHands
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by CatsHaveFourHands »

Thanks for your reply.

I’m actually on an iPhone X. The booster is using one Yagi antenna pointed in the only direction I found to produce any signal. It is posted at the end of my RV about 15 feet up off the ground. Oddly enough the boosted service completely cuts out when I go any higher.

I live at the edge of a dense forest with a couple acres of clearing in front of me. Forest surrounds on both sides. Then the forest starts again for several hundred feet and then meets the highway. I kinda have this bottleneck to shoot my booster out of.

No neighbors close by, but I’ll ask around when I go to town. I’m going to attempt to get some sort of Verizon device to test while at a friends today. I didn’t realize being this close to the tower would much things up, when testing the signal in the Cel-Fi app it doesn’t show that much strength. It must be because of how steep the terrain is here. I included a map of the rough location. Sadly, there’s no scale, but it’s almost exactly two miles as the bird flies away from me.

I’ve also been looking at those routers and plan to purchase one on Monday if I can get these tests done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

For an iPhone call this number *3001#12345#* (Field Test Mode)
this will display all the phone cell signal information. Get a notebook and take good notes on your quest to
find the internet.

The more data your can feed the group the better! I like that you are talking in dB's and not bars :D

What are your goals? To be able the make a phone call, text and E-Mail or NetFlix, Gamer, or small office with zoom meetings. What is the budget??

Stay away from boosters. They should be the last thing you try. Two good antennas is the way to go.

See this YouTube Link https://youtu.be/xzqkoPL9t9A
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

I would be nice to know what other cell carriers on your tower.
Also need to know what cell bands are there
Use https://www.cellmapper.net

See https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95x5N ... IHfuVo6W4Q
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

Here are a few points for rural wireless...
The killer band is 617 MHz, The frequency Is shared by both 4G B71 and 5G n71.
Tmobile owns a large portion of this band, but I read that it is not 100%.
It is only used in North America.
This frequency range is fairly new in the manufacturing scheme of things so the newer modem modules may have support but older ones may not.
Many antennas don’t include this band and when redesigned for this band, they will get larger which is a large expense.
Currently, Quality brands like Poynting don’t have support of this band in their best products.
Assume many booster setups are dated and the antenna and electronics skip this band as well.

So if you are already in Tmobile zone, and have B71, make sure your antenna and booster, and router module can support that frequency.

Try to find the best passive outdoor antenna with the most dB.
thewirelesshaven has a large parabolic antenna with a 2x2 MiMo stalk but it does not support B71.
Bolton has a large parabolic that’s supports B71 and it maybe the best right now, but it is a SISO, so getting two is not cheap, and I bet it would make your RV look like a giant insect!

Also, it is always helpful to describe make and model numbers of everything in your system.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

CatsHaveFourHands wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:49 pm Thanks for your reply.

I’m actually on an iPhone X. The booster is using one Yagi antenna pointed in the only direction I found to produce any signal. It is posted at the end of my RV about 15 feet up off the ground. Oddly enough the boosted service completely cuts out when I go any higher.

I live at the edge of a dense forest with a couple acres of clearing in front of me. Forest surrounds on both sides. Then the forest starts again for several hundred feet and then meets the highway. I kinda have this bottleneck to shoot my booster out of.

No neighbors close by, but I’ll ask around when I go to town. I’m going to attempt to get some sort of Verizon device to test while at a friends today. I didn’t realize being this close to the tower would much things up, when testing the signal in the Cel-Fi app it doesn’t show that much strength. It must be because of how steep the terrain is here. I included a map of the rough location. Sadly, there’s no scale, but it’s almost exactly two miles as the bird flies away from me.

I’ve also been looking at those routers and plan to purchase one on Monday if I can get these tests done.
My advise: unless you are in a huge hurry to get internet, take your time and try things out. I understand the window to return the booster is closing. Do you need it? I am unsure but that is the key word - "unsure". Boosters do work for some and I have a friend in middle of Colorado that would have no service without one. You did pick a good booster, that company makes quality boosters. You will have to decide it you want to keep the booster...

Take baby steps unless you are in a hurry. When you make changes, allow the equipment/signal to level out by waiting 15-30 minutes before making next change. Low signal levels does not always mean low speed :)

If you do get a router with modem, for grins try the stock antennas just to see what signal levels might be. Sometimes a "omni antenna" surprises people in a rural setting. LTE signals are a strange beast.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”