New here, need hotspot, or truly unlimited data help

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Jwilliams54
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New here, need hotspot, or truly unlimited data help

Post by Jwilliams54 »

Hi!
I’m hoping someone can help me. Where we live we don’t have access to internet, our whole street does, except us. We have good AT&T service and good Verizon service. T-Mobile doesn’t work well. Since we now have 2 adults and 2 children’s working and schooling from home we need an internet solution. Right now we just use a Verizon jetpack, but it of course throttle after 15gb. It’s awful. We need true unlimited. The closest I’ve found that I briefly considered was AT&T’s wireless internet router that I can get 100gb on, but with work school, netflix etc I know that won’t cut it and we will have major overages. I looked into Unlimitedville, and am considering them even though it’s so expensive. Does anyone have any advice on what we can do?? Thank you so much in advance!

Jessica
Dr-BroadBand

Re: New here, need hotspot, or truly unlimited data help

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Jwilliams54
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jwilliams54 »

Thank you so much for your help! Have you used nolimitdata? I’m looking into them now. Thank you!!
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

This might be of interest. Just announced today, Only available in some areas. If wired internet is generally available in your area then I suspect probably not but it's worth checking your address.

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/veri ... ural-areas
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:11 pm For a modem see https://www.netgear.com/Orbi/LBR20.aspx

For data see https://www.nolimitdata.net
Curiosity has gotten the best of me. What is your relationship with NoLimitData?
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

NoLimitData is the MVNO that I am using today, was using OTR but they dropped T-Mobile.
The only cell tower I have is T-Mobile. Band-71 works the best as for the 600MHz can shoot through the tress better
than the other bands.

ALL MVNO are a little sketchy!! I could play games and try to get an IPad SIM to work and trick my way onto
the network. But for now I have more money than time.

Now I am curious, is there something wrong with NoLimitData :roll:

terryjett, Can your add a list of your favorite data plans

**************************************************************************************************************************
A mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) is a wireless communications services provider that does not own the wireless network infrastructure over which it provides services to its customers
**************************************************************************************************************************
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

I don't mean to nitpick but is NoLimitData really a MVNO? My understanding is that the likes of Mint, PagePlus and the carrier owned retailers like Visible and Cricket are MVNOs with agreements with the carriers and I think regulated by the FCC. The resellers seem to be simply reselling plans which anyone can do if they can somehow get their hands on the plans.

They might well be worth looking at if the plans work as advertised but I'm not sure it's correct to call them MVNOs.

NoLimitData seems to be one of the few that allow BYOD. I must admit 900 GB for $80 BYOD seems quite attractive. Just as a matter of curiosity, I wonder what sort of deal, if any, they have with the carriers.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

tetranz wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:37 am I don't mean to nitpick but is NoLimitData really a MVNO? My understanding is that the likes of Mint, PagePlus and the carrier owned retailers like Visible and Cricket are MVNOs with agreements with the carriers and I think regulated by the FCC. The resellers seem to be simply reselling plans which anyone can do if they can somehow get their hands on the plans.

They might well be worth looking at if the plans work as advertised but I'm not sure it's correct to call them MVNOs.

NoLimitData seems to be one of the few that allow BYOD. I must admit 900 GB for $80 BYOD seems quite attractive. Just as a matter of curiosity, I wonder what sort of deal, if any, they have with the carriers.
amen-brother-fvvd24.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

I did say a little sketchy :?
thejohnfist

Post by thejohnfist »

OP - do you know any of your neighbors who have wired internet? It would be a lot cheaper for you to set up a local wireless configuration from someone else's house and beam it to yours if it's on the same street. Plus you'd have real unlimited with no risk of losing it. Hardware probably only runs a couple hundred bucks. You just need a friendly neighbor.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

thejohnfist wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:38 pm OP - do you know any of your neighbors who have wired internet? It would be a lot cheaper for you to set up a local wireless configuration from someone else's house and beam it to yours if it's on the same street. Plus you'd have real unlimited with no risk of losing it. Hardware probably only runs a couple hundred bucks. You just need a friendly neighbor.
Always been curios about that set up. Even to just share my T-Mobile data with someone. The houses that have cable down the road from me are down a hill. Always afraid wouldn't get a connection to it. You are basically talking about a small WISP set up?
Do you know what the equipment is? What it is capable of?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:21 am I did say a little sketchy :?
Yes you did.
Wen I first started this would only use resellers. Thought it was the "right" thing to do. Was ran thru the ringer with them. Their membership fees and what not. Pay a member ship fee get a T-Mobile plan and then it got slowed down allot. More than likely was a Phone sim and ran out of hotspot data on it. So then need to try their AT&T plan. Well that is a new membership fee.
Tried several other too was convinced they where both legit too. Even tried to defend their honor on these exact forums. That they wasn't just reselling ipad plans. Put links on here for other people to use them. Then the sims would go bad several times. Take days to hear back from them. They never explain what was going on. Sometimes even act like maybe you damaged it or something. Then we would be responsible once again to buy another sim card.
Then when AT&T starting cracking down on the pre-pay ipad plan all the sudden they say they can't support our AT&T service anymore. Their agreement with AT&T had expired but now can pay more for T-Mobile and blah blah blah.
After that starting looking at getting my own data plans from the companies themselves.
One day when my current plans decide enough is enough they will kill it I am sure. But it is cheaper and works good for now. Learned with data plans it all fine till it isn't. And you know somehow I don't seem to break sim cards all the time. :lol:
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Hay, thejohnfist

I like the way you think, but unfortunately it’s a very rural location, all the neighbors are in the same boat, satellite country. I am talking Hughes Net HELL, $200+ for very little data, where the ping number is higher than the DL number. :o
Until Elon Musk gets StarLink working looks like the 4G Modem my best option.

Thanks for the clue. Was thinking of doing something like this. Setup a 4G modem near the tower and beam WiFi to the house. But the problem is not my 4G signal. It's limited bandwidth on my cell tower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:05 am NoLimitData is the MVNO that I am using today, was using OTR but they dropped T-Mobile.
The only cell tower I have is T-Mobile. Band-71 works the best as for the 600MHz can shoot through the tress better
than the other bands.

ALL MVNO are a little sketchy!! I could play games and try to get an IPad SIM to work and trick my way onto
the network. But for now I have more money than time.

Now I am curious, is there something wrong with NoLimitData :roll:

terryjett, Can your add a list of your favorite data plans

A mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) is a wireless communications services provider that does not own the wireless network infrastructure over which it provides services to its customers
Don't have any favorite data plans. Have no single one I would recommend to anyone at this point.

Was simply asking your relationship with NoLimitData. You are recommending them a lot, so only curious why.

Never said there was anything wrong with NoLimitData, no hidden meaning by asking you your relationship. I am a naturally curious person.

I am pretty sure NoLimitData is not an approved MVNO for any carrier. They are simply resellers and possibly reselling reseller plans :) Perhaps I am wrong, but highly doubt they are a MVNO.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

NP on being curious that is my I am here on this form.
Before this was watching YouTube videos on how RV campers were getting internet.
It was ok at first but quickly flatline on the knowledge and felt my IQ points start to drop. :lol:

I was happy to find this form board with a honey pot of knowledge.

You may be correct on NoLimitData not being a MVNO. I guess we need to find a new term.

Blazinghog was my #2 pick but the fine print on their web page was a little scary
https://blazinghoginternet.com :roll:

Your speeds will vary based on distance to tower, geography, and tower load. Speeds are not guaranteed. The service operates on third party cellular towers. Tower operators may apply fair use policy based on tower congestion and usage. This service is for normal residential home use. Do not rely on this service for emergency services or telemedicine. If you are working from home you will not be compensated for loss of income during an outage.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

There are only a handful of "authorized" sellers of data only plans. Most of them were from Sprint, because of the Clearwire deal. Government made them do that and since T-Mobile now owns Sprint, who knows what is going to happen to those type of plans.

Some of the carriers had a few offerings of unlimited hotspot data but those are long gone.

Most all of the people/companies selling data only plans these days are skirting the line and breaking the carrier rules. NOT saying all of them, but I honestly have not seen any for real sellers in long time.

Disclaimer: I live in the country and get my news via can and string...
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Note: do not take my words as you should avoid any seller of data plans. Use one myself. Only stating what I have learned about them and some of them are down right shady. Best we can do is learn from each other :)
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Yep you are correct. I would add they are ALL shady. Just need to pick the less shady out of the bunch.

With OTR had to pay "Membership" used them for one month then they dropped T-Mobile which is the network I need! And they switched to AT&T, they are good, but just not at my location. In the game of hunting for internet it's all about Location.... Location.. Location

Now with NoLimitData I had to pay another "Membership" fee much like your story. But I am limited to just T-Mobile, so it's hard to find a solution. I am hopeful it will work out …….. we will see :geek:

That NO contract cuts both ways
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:42 pm Yep you are correct. I would add they are ALL shady. Just need to pick the less shady out of the bunch.

With OTR had to pay "Membership" used them for one month then they dropped T-Mobile which is the network I need! And they switched to AT&T, they are good, but just not at my location. In the game of hunting for internet it's all about Location.... Location.. Location

Now with NoLimitData I had to pay another "Membership" fee much like your story. But I am limited to just T-Mobile, so it's hard to find a solution. I am hopeful it will work out …….. we will see :geek:

That NO contract cuts both ways
T-Mobile phone sim will work. Have three houses on it. Well technically five. Two of the houses share with another house.
Get post pay plan set TTL 64 and good to go. Use it up big time.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

gscheb wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:26 pm T-Mobile phone sim will work. Have three houses on it. Well technically five. Two of the houses share with another house.
Get post pay plan set TTL 64 and good to go. Use it up big time.
Exactly how to avoid the middle man (resellers)!

I wish T-Mobile was not so congested here. 50% of the day can't hit over 1-2mbps down. Middle of night it rocks out up to 50mbps. Maybe one of these days...
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:48 pm Blazinghog was my #2 pick but the fine print on their web page was a little scary
https://blazinghoginternet.com :roll:

Your speeds will vary based on distance to tower, geography, and tower load. Speeds are not guaranteed. The service operates on third party cellular towers. Tower operators may apply fair use policy based on tower congestion and usage. This service is for normal residential home use. Do not rely on this service for emergency services or telemedicine. If you are working from home you will not be compensated for loss of income during an outage.
That doesn't seem particularly scary or unusual. Anything involving radio is never guaranteed and I doubt that any reseller would compensate you for loss of income. They're really just being responsibly honest.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”