Need Router Recommendation

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
GrandPooh-Bah
Has thanked: 0

Need Router Recommendation

Post by GrandPooh-Bah »

Need Router Recommendation for my Smart Home.

I'm on my second WE 826-GO in a year and it is mucking up. I've got the Sierra EM7565 Modem and a Visible SIM.
My house was dumb when I got this last router in early 2020. I noticed that it is now "NOT" recommended to use the WE 826-GO for providing WiFi to multiple devices.

I'd like something that can utilize the Sierra EM7565 if possible.
gscheb

Re: Need Router Recommendation

Post by gscheb »

I personally have not seen the WE826 or WG3526 WiFi running rooter work properly. Heard there is issues with the WG1608 as well. Personally think it is best to just get a regular house router and put it in the back of one of the lan ports.
Bought one of these in January this year and it works great. Got it used on ebay.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-AC1900-W ... 53&sr=8-34
GrandPooh-Bah

Post by GrandPooh-Bah »

So what do you use in front of the regular house router?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Right now using a WG3526 at my house. AT my uncles, sisters and parents they are using WE826. All of us have the Wifi Disabled with another router plugged into it. My parents and sister are using Netgear routers which are good too. I just really taking a liking to TP-Link stuff.
Wish I knew how to do all this stuff with openwrt. Believe all the WiFi issues are because of the rooter, golden orb, WiFix etc firmware. At least that is what I have heard.
GrandPooh-Bah

Post by GrandPooh-Bah »

I have an unused ASUS router.
So I shut down the wifi in the WE826 and connect the routers together via Ethernet cable in the lan ports? Anything else needed?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Nope not really. Ethernet wire from lan on WE826 to WAN on ASUS and should be ready to go. If you start to see troubles loading pages look at adding DNS to the router.
lod411

Post by lod411 »

do not waste your money on a wg1608. i have two of them and both do not work properly. either the internal LTE modem crashes and then you have connection problems. then to top it off the 5ghz wifi does not work at all. no one wants to seem to make a working firmware for it. so i am basically stuck with two worthless LTE routers until a proper firmware is created for it. i tired to create my own firmware for it and it's nothing but a headache. the rooter documentation is not even current to what you download. on top of that there are so many errors you waste hours trying to compile a firmware that never works.

so far the wg1326 with EC25-AF LTE modem has been the most reliable. i just wish i ordered it with a better LTE modem that will 3 band aggregate. i drilled two holes in the case and added in two more antennas. so far everything as been working great for a couple of months now with no problems. 2.4ghz and 5ghz work just fine.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

If I am not mistaken the WG1326 has the same innards as the WG3526, or at least the same chipset, going from memory here so if someone can confirm. But if that is so then rooter is not likely to be the cause of the wifi issue if yours works and the same chipset in gscheb wg3526 doesnt work.

Same chipset should mean same drivers and all
eschmid2

Post by eschmid2 »

Just to weight in the topic, I use a WG3526 with EP06-A modem and simple mobile plan, I only use the 5G on the WG3526 (2.4G is disabled as all our devices are nwer) and it has been working flawless for me. I do have some areas in the house where the 5G does not reach well and have a UAP-AC-PRO on order, several IT guys have recommended this access point as it has 3x3 MIMO and is basically an enterprise versus consumer grade device (its tricky to set up but for most folks here who have been into several layers of rooter firmware menu's and settings the access point setup is not a big deal). I have been told this type of device is much better than using a consumer router in access point mode and its only about $125.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

eschmid2 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:41 am Just to weight in the topic, I use a WG3526 with EP06-A modem and simple mobile plan, I only use the 5G on the WG3526 (2.4G is disabled as all our devices are nwer) and it has been working flawless for me.
Hello,
Do you know what Firmware revisions you are using on it?
eschmid2

Post by eschmid2 »

Hi,
I am using the following firmware: openwrt-WiFiX-WG3526-GO2020-05-16-upgrade.bin

This is available on Google drive from The Wireless Haven store here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... u0ACG0WDxA

Also if your connections are dropping make sure there is no interference from other devices using near the same channel of WiFi. For my 5G setting I use Channel 36 in AC only mode and 80 MHZ channel width (its made a difference)

Hope this is helpful and feel free to ask any other questions
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Would agree on using an access point or a mesh WiFi system.
I think we ask too much from our routers to do it ALL!! :geek:
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

gscheb wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:47 am Hello,
Do you know what Firmware revisions you are using on it?
Did you ever try the rooter test version?

https://c.tab.digital/s/5WS5wX4bE8xnwHt

They have made some major changes

Btw ordered an archer c8 to test with against the wg3526 will be in next week
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Adm1jtg wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:53 am Did you ever try the rooter test version?

https://c.tab.digital/s/5WS5wX4bE8xnwHt
Downloaded it to my computer for later. Haven't installed it yet. Why was asking what they used to see if the save version. Seems others might be using the same I have and it works.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

gscheb wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:57 am Downloaded it to my computer for later. Haven't installed it yet. Why was asking what they used to see if the save version. Seems others might be using the same I have and it works.
Yeah starting to look like a quality control/hardware failure
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

gscheb wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:57 am Downloaded it to my computer for later. Haven't installed it yet. Why was asking what they used to see if the save version. Seems others might be using the same I have and it works.
Did you ever load this up?

I did some testing by adding in the archer c8 for all my wifi and while I did find that the signal is a little stronger I would not say the built in wifi was bad at all. I will likely leave the c8 in place as there doesnt seem to be any negatives to using it other then the $35 I had to pay to get one.

Return to “General and Unclassified”