2nd ISP addition? Need non-throttled/unlimited LTE.

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
dogdragon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2nd ISP addition? Need non-throttled/unlimited LTE.

Post by dogdragon »

Hi!

I am looking to possibly add a 2nd ISP to my set up to try and have some unlimited/not throttled LTE after 15gb.

For the past 3+ years I’ve been using a $20/month jetpack add on to my Verizon plan. Gives me 15GB of 4G LTE, then throttled to 600kbps (or less). I go through this in the first couple of days of each billing cycle. It still *works* for the rest of the month, I manage. I just end up watching very pixelated Netflix & Hulu. For the first 2+ years, I was using an old school Jetpack Ellipsis MHS800L. It worked well for the most part, and actually never ended up throttled after 15GB. I was often able to still pull 5-6mbps even after I used up my 15GB. For a good year or so I was also able to game online on PS4 just fine, but the 2nd year it started having issues with gaming.

In March, at the peak of covid stay home orders, my Verizon service entirely gave out in my spot. It’s always been an iffy spot, but usable, but in March it just quit. I had virtually no usable service for 4+ weeks. I soon realized it was Band 13 that was congested and unusable, even though it showed connected to 4G with 3+ bars. Band 2 and 66 worked fine, but they weren’t the stronger choices, I assume, so my phone kept connecting to B13 - useless, and the Jetpack could only get B13. I ended up buying a Netgear 4G LTE modem, purely because it DIDN’T have Band 13 - and it’s been GREAT. No connection issues whatsoever, BUT it actually does get throttled after I hit my 15GB. I often have to connect my phone to my hotspot because the phone still tries to hold on to B13 that doesn’t function. Which then throws it’s own issues when it connects back to Band 2 while on wifi, then it both doesn’t work properly and causes issues with whatever other devices are also on the wifi.. not sure why.

SO - I’m looking for ways to supplement the current set up. Mostly, I want something that is not going to be throttled down under 600kbps, and something that will allow me to play my PS4 online again, and HOPEFULLY be able to update my games. I can’t do any game updates on my PS4 currently because it’s just impossible… takes many many days and I can’t do much else while doing that.

I know I have the potential for 40-50+mbps speeds at times. I’ve seen it on my PS4 occasionally at the start of some of my billing cycles. I don’t have any antennas or anything (yet), mostly because I hit the 15GB too quickly as is, but I am for sure open to getting some if I can find an unlimited option to then add speed.

Verizon is my only real option. T-Mobile does seem to work in most of the property, but a little slower in speeds than Verizon. I’m open to trying it, too.

I don’t quite understand how Visible works for unlimited - I keep seeing people putting the sim into a hotspot/modem and changing something to make it think it’s still in a phone - is this possible with my Netgear 4G LTE modem? I see their website says “Plus, for a limited time, we’ve removed our speed cap - free for as long as you remain a member.” What are their speeds usually? I see their actual hotspot cap limit is at 5mbps.

Also heard PagePlus is Verizon, but haven’t looked into that.

TL;DR - Verizon (or maybe T-Mobile) options to help me with non-throttled LTE suitable enough for PS4 game updates/online gaming. Happy to keep my current 15GB/then slow with Verizon as well for browsing/maybe TV if necessary etc. No, we’re not eligible for any of the LTE internet options provided by T-Mobile or AT&T, or any fixed internet services (spectrum quoted me $130,000 to install..)
gscheb

Re: 2nd ISP addition? Need non-throttled/unlimited LTE.

Post by gscheb »

Here is a link to add that visible to netgear modem that I think you are talking about.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=669#p4116
Not sure if the ping is good enough to game.

Also look into using Verizon tablet plan unlimited, people have luck with that.

And T-Mobile can work great with outside antennas.

Can get service at a place with outdoor antennas where you think you don't have service.
dogdragon

Post by dogdragon »

Thanks. I think they are using the router I have as well. I don't understand it all, but I get a rough idea. I don't know what a good ping would be, honestly.

Isn't T-Mobile currently cracking down on their hotspots and stuff being used unlimitedly? Otherwise, what's a good safe T-Mobile option to try at the moment?
dogdragon

Post by dogdragon »

Just found https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790 and noticed they all say will not work on LB112x modems. So, I could keep my current Verizon add on in the Netgear I currently have - but what would be a good/affordable flashable modem that WOULD work for either T-Mobile or Verizon/Visible/PagePlus etc to get the TTL settings? I see the WE826 is about half the price of the WG3526, what is the difference? I don't want to spend too much to try it all out and find it not work out for me.. Unless it was a total guarantee it would all work wonderfully then by all means it can have a lot more $$ for hardware haha.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well for gaming want to keep ping below 100 usually and think visible is usually above that.
You could try the visable in the device you got for now. $25 first month not allot of risk. It is legit unlimited hotspot data. Suppose to be capped at 5 down but allot people says theirs isn't.
For T-Mobile and Verizon will need the ability to set the TTL. So that would not work with the Netgear modem.
In my opinion the biggest difference between we826 and wg3526 is the lan ports. We826 lan capped at 100 down most people say it caps them at 85 down. If that is fast enough for you or think your connection won't be faster than that go with the we826 then.
Don't trust the WiFi on these routers when using WiFi or rooter on then for the TTL settings.
Hook secondary router into lan port. Not worth the hassle of even trying their WiFi. Will let you down at some point.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

dogdragon wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:00 pm I see the WE826 is about half the price of the WG3526, what is the difference?
Noticeable details:
WE826 - 100Mbps port speed - WiFi is just ok.
WE3526 - 1000Mbps port speed - Better WiFi, not the greatest.

Do you happen to have a router other than the Netgear laying around? You don't have to get the above routers to set TTL. If you are satisfy with the speed on your Netgear, you either need to get the Verizon's tablet plan or a voice line if price is about the same to test it out. Most people test with Visible's sim although the latency is higher than Verizon's sim for gaming. How high? Well it's area dependent. You just have to test it before you get one of those postpaid plans if you are on Verizon postpaid already.
ruralinternet

Post by ruralinternet »

I have read that the TTL needs to be 64 or less for PagePlus and MOFI4500. Can someone please confirm if the TTL is 117 or 64 or less? I have been running at the TTL of 64 or less for two months, but just got PagePlus notification that as of 1/1/2021 service will be unavailable due to no support for VoLTE. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dogdragon

Post by dogdragon »

Yipzy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:46 pm Noticeable details:
WE826 - 100Mbps port speed - WiFi is just ok.
WE3526 - 1000Mbps port speed - Better WiFi, not the greatest.

Do you happen to have a router other than the Netgear laying around? You don't have to get the above routers to set TTL. If you are satisfy with the speed on your Netgear, you either need to get the Verizon's tablet plan or a voice line if price is about the same to test it out. Most people test with Visible's sim although the latency is higher than Verizon's sim for gaming. How high? Well it's area dependent. You just have to test it before you get one of those postpaid plans if you are on Verizon postpaid already.
I am currently using an old Netgear N300/WNR2000 as my router connected to the Netgear 4G LTE modem. I don't think I could even potentially pull the speeds that the router could handle, so I don't think speed is an issue on this router. I'm usually sitting around 5-15mbps inside on average days, 40-50mbps+ inside on rare days, 20+ outside usually. If I threw some antennas outside on this I think I'd likely do okay, but I just haven't since I hit that 15gb of 4G LTE fast and I'd be capped at 600kbps all month anyways, speeds would be irrelevant for my current set up.

Price wise, I don't see anything in a decent price range for Verizon? I must be missing something. I'm literally just using the Jetpack add on line for $20 a month extra on top of my current phone line. Visible for $25 a month could be worth a try, if I can get regular speeds and not the 5mbps hotspot cap, I think that's my worry. I don't want a speed cap, preferably.

I'd also need a spare phone to set up the Visible sim, correct? I'll ask around and see if anyone has one I can borrow.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

dogdragon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:56 am I am currently using an old Netgear N300/WNR2000 as my router connected to the Netgear 4G LTE modem. I don't think I could even potentially pull the speeds that the router could handle, so I don't think speed is an issue on this router. I'm usually sitting around 5-15mbps inside on average days, 40-50mbps+ inside on rare days, 20+ outside usually. If I threw some antennas outside on this I think I'd likely do okay, but I just haven't since I hit that 15gb of 4G LTE fast and I'd be capped at 600kbps all month anyways, speeds would be irrelevant for my current set up.

Price wise, I don't see anything in a decent price range for Verizon? I must be missing something. I'm literally just using the Jetpack add on line for $20 a month extra on top of my current phone line. Visible for $25 a month could be worth a try, if I can get regular speeds and not the 5mbps hotspot cap, I think that's my worry. I don't want a speed cap, preferably.

I'd also need a spare phone to set up the Visible sim, correct? I'll ask around and see if anyone has one I can borrow.
Allot of people are doing fine with Verizon tablet sim in router instead of hotspot since there is no hard throttle on it.
Visible can work, ping is high though, visible phones form them are cheapl
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

Yeah buy the cheapest LTE ipad/tablet you can find that works for Verizon then just add a tablet line if you are on Verizon postpaid. As for your Netgear wireless router, you probably need to flash to custom OpenWRT or DD-WRT in order to modify the TTL to bypass hotspot detection if you want to save money and do some research. It has to do with iptables & ip6tables firewall custom rules.
dogdragon

Post by dogdragon »

$10 to add the tablet line and $30 for the Unlimited Plus data only plan? I'm looking at this Unlimited Plus data only plan right now... I should also upgrade my current $20 a month jetpack add on at 15GB a month to the 30GB a month, but I've been nervous of changing it incase it doesn't work as well hah. But anyways, I see the tablet option says unlimited 4G LTE, but jetpack/hotspots only 30GB - you're saying theres a way to put the tablet one into a modem/hotspot without them knowing it's in a hotspot instead?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

dogdragon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:27 pm you're saying theres a way to put the tablet one into a modem/hotspot without them knowing it's in a hotspot instead?
Yes people are doing that, search the forums to find out more.
Here read this whole post for one example of it
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1790#p12170
dogdragon

Post by dogdragon »

gscheb wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:04 pm Yes people are doing that, search the forums to find out more.
Here read this whole post for one example of it
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1790#p12170
Thanks. I'm somewhat understanding. I see they're using a $300 modem though, I'm not ready for that cost risk on a maybe. Would like to trial it on my cheaper set up, for now. If possible
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

For a cheaper set up like this combo.
EP06 Setup.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

You could also tether from your tablet but you still need to change TTL on the router otherwise after 15GB of hotspot use it goes down to 600Kbps. If you are able to change the TTL then it's unlimited non-throttled use unless the tower is congested during peak times.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”