Best options for combining multiple modems on the go

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
arstneio
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best options for combining multiple modems on the go

Post by arstneio »

Hi everyone,

Been lurking this community for a little while and with the knowledge here was able to build my first setup. I have two WE-826 running Sierra EM7455, one with an AT&T plan and one with a Visible plan. I bond them through a Raspberry Pi running OpenMPTCPRouter.

Was wondering for different options to make my entire setup more portable. I have a few ideas, and wanted to get some thoughts around the feasibility and what I'd need to pay attention to.
  • I could get one or more 4G LTE hats for my Raspberry Pi running OpenMPTCPRouter. The main thing I don't really know about here is whether I would need to do different TTL timings (and if I did need to do that, how to actually go about doing it from the RPi) and how it would interpret the different modem connections. Right now each of my WE-826 are plugged into an ethernet switch that is plugged into the Pi, with different static IPs for each one and that's how it knows what the different connections are coming in and how to bond them into a single outbound connection.
  • I could get and set up a router with two miniPCIe slots, something like this: https://mikrotik.com/product/rbm33g This also runs openWRT, so I think I could set up TTL timings the same way that I have been, but I'm not exactly sure how it will all work with two different modems running two different SIMs and how those are combined.
  • I could just use the existing setup and deal with it being slightly more bulky. I don't care about wifi at all, everything is wired connection for me, and it all fits nicely into a backpack right now. I just figured having less devices would be even better. On this topic, is it possible for me to run one pair of 4g antennas for both of my WE-826, instead of having two antennas for each?
Thanks for listening and for any help or thoughts you guys have! Still stewing on different possibilities...
Yipzy

Re: Best options for combining multiple modems on the go

Post by Yipzy »

I can answer about TTL. On the OMR's firewall page, there is a custom rules tab that you could enter the TTL settings like you normally would. You just need to reference to the correct interface from each WAN connection.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”