Issues

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Herculezz55
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Issues

Post by Herculezz55 »

i ordered a Quectel cat 20 and the usb enclosure, and a tplink arcer c7, i was able to flash no problem, and it worked well for a while, but now im having a heck of a time with the internet just stopping, in modem/network status it still shows connected, between 90-95% signal but just no internet until i reboot, this happens nearly 20x a day, is there something wrong with my modem, router or maybe both? this is driving my kids crazy as they are doing remote school now and it keeps kicking them out of classes? any suggestions? I was considering trying one of thos 40ish dollar routers with the 100mbps limitations and throwing in my modem just to see if it is that tplink or the enclosure im using thats the problem, only issue there is The Wireless Haven is still closed lol. Also i want to add that about 2 or 3 times a day the modem will say unknown for sim card and i will have to shut it all down and remove and reinsert the sim card.
Yipzy

Re: Issues

Post by Yipzy »

Herculezz55 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:59 pm i ordered a Quectel cat 20 and the usb enclosure, and a tplink arcer c7, i was able to flash no problem, and it worked well for a while, but now im having a heck of a time with the internet just stopping, in modem/network status it still shows connected, between 90-95% signal but just no internet until i reboot, this happens nearly 20x a day, is there something wrong with my modem, router or maybe both? this is driving my kids crazy as they are doing remote school now and it keeps kicking them out of classes? any suggestions? I was considering trying one of thos 40ish dollar routers with the 100mbps limitations and throwing in my modem just to see if it is that tplink or the enclosure im using thats the problem, only issue there is The Wireless Haven is still closed lol. Also i want to add that about 2 or 3 times a day the modem will say unknown for sim card and i will have to shut it all down and remove and reinsert the sim card.
It could be the USB adapter if it only has a single USB2.0 cable for powering the modem. Try to disable CA by setting it to a single band for the modem to connect to limit power usage and see if the problem persists. Normally I would get a USB3.0 enclosure with an extra power input port to be safe especially with a CAT20 modem if you are not putting it in a router setup.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

AT&T? If so this is an ongoing thing for many people... Apparently using a VPN will keep the connection alive.
Herculezz55
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Herculezz55 »

It's a usb 3 enclosure, only a few months old, just bought it from The Wireless Haven literally the day before they shut down lol
No its verizon, but i think it might be my modem overheating, i have ordered some heatsinks
BillA

Post by BillA »

Herculezz55 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:13 pm It's a usb 3 enclosure, only a few months old, just bought it from The Wireless Haven literally the day before they shut down lol
No its verizon, but i think it might be my modem overheating, i have ordered some heatsinks

A passive heatsink will only go so far if the heats keeps building up inside the case especially in a warm room or hot attic. A friend of mine installed a small computer fan on top of the enclosure with small holes drilled under the fan for better ventilation. He soldered in the 5Volt fan's wires into the main board's power rails, to prevent overheating of an expensive Quectel RM500Q 5G modem. Use your imagination.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”