Losing internet connection, but modem is still connected?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Byulos
Has thanked: 0

Losing internet connection, but modem is still connected?

Post by Byulos »

I have been having issues with my WE826-T2 with Sierra EM7565. Updated to the latest version of WiFix last week so that may have something to do with it; the one I was on was from 2019. Anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours, I will lose internet access and nothing fixes it except a modem reboot. I log on to the WiFix settings for the WE826 after it happens, and it is still showing an active connection to the tower and I see nothing wrong, but I am connected to the modem but with no internet access. I was thinking maybe it was the router I was using via DMZ so I took that out of the mix but still the same issue; I have been doing that without issues for a year now. The only band we get is band 2, so I locked it to that via commands. Didn't help; signal strength around 50%, which it has been for the last year trouble free. I am using the 2.5A adapter that I purchased extra from The Wireless Haven when I built this a year ago. We work from home, and this is going to be a big issue. Any tips?
gscheb

Re: Losing internet connection, but modem is still connected?

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Could be an DNS issue. Could try setting it in rooter. The link going to show you uses Google DNS. I personally use cloud flare.
Which is 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... =10#p10732
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

What provider are you using? If it is AT&T or an AT&T reseller (MVNO), you may be experiencing an issue that has cropped up recently. If this is the case, the issue is not on your end--it is AT&T's doing. More info on this can be found searching the forums (can point you in the right direction if you need help).

Good luck--hope you are able to resolve this.
Byulos

Post by Byulos »

gscheb wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:06 pm Hello,
Could be an DNS issue. Could try setting it in rooter. The link going to show you uses Google DNS. I personally use cloud flare.
Which is 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... =10#p10732
Thanks for the suggestion. I used that link and the cloudflare settings. Hopefully it will fix the issue. Should know in a few hours.
Byulos

Post by Byulos »

prideauxx wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:50 pm What provider are you using? If it is AT&T or an AT&T reseller (MVNO), you may be experiencing an issue that has cropped up recently. If this is the case, the issue is not on your end--it is AT&T's doing. More info on this can be found searching the forums (can point you in the right direction if you need help).

Good luck--hope you are able to resolve this.
I was using ATT until they cut off my old ipad plan. On T-Mobile now at about 1/5th of the speed off the same tower location, but what can you do. Thanks for the information.
Byulos

Post by Byulos »

Went out again around the 3 hour mark. I logged onto the wifix after it happened and noticed something. The STATUS->OVERVIEW page under "IPv6 Upstream" was now blank, but when it was working this was full of information. This some kind of clue to someone who knows more about this than me?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Byulos wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:59 pm Went out again around the 3 hour mark. I logged onto the wifix after it happened and noticed something. The STATUS->OVERVIEW page under "IPv6 Upstream" was now blank, but when it was working this was full of information. This some kind of clue to someone who knows more about this than me?

Try the sim card in a phone to see if you service is still active or it has been suspended by ATT like they did to many others. If you don't have an ATT or unlocked phone, borrow one.
Byulos

Post by Byulos »

BillA wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:13 pm Try the sim card in a phone to see if you service is still active or it has been suspended by ATT like they did to many others. If you don't have an ATT or unlocked phone, borrow one.
Hey Bill,
I should have been more specific before. About a week ago the ATT plan was cancelled and I got a t-mobile $50 prepaid unlimited line. While I was messing with the system anyway I went ahead and updated the firmware. Been watching the system closely, and it loses internet every 3 hours but the tower/modem is still connected. Doing a reboot fixes it. The IPV6 information on the main page goes blank whenever this happens, so I am thinking it is some kind if an ipv6 issue. This person here seemed to have the same problem: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1407&start=10

But I have no idea what to do next. Try to fix the ipv6 problem, disable it, I just don't know. Any tips?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Byulos wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:20 pm Hey Bill,
I should have been more specific before. About a week ago the ATT plan was cancelled and I got a t-mobile $50 prepaid unlimited line. While I was messing with the system anyway I went ahead and updated the firmware. Been watching the system closely, and it loses internet every 3 hours but the tower/modem is still connected. Doing a reboot fixes it. The IPV6 information on the main page goes blank whenever this happens, so I am thinking it is some kind if an ipv6 issue. This person here seemed to have the same problem: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1407&start=10

But I have no idea what to do next. Try to fix the ipv6 problem, disable it, I just don't know. Any tips?

Try forcing the connection to IPv4 only by going to Modem > Connection Profile > Default Profile > Advanced > Enable Custom AT Startup Command > select "Yes", and in Custom AT Command enter AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","fast.t-mobile.com" then press Save&Apply and restart the router. After every restart, make sure to wait at least 5 minutes for the custom AT command to take affect, which hopefully will help with the disconnection issue.
Byulos

Post by Byulos »

BillA wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:36 pm Try forcing the connection to IPv4 only by going to Modem > Connection Profile > Default Profile > Advanced > Enable Custom AT Startup Command > select "Yes", and in Custom AT Command enter AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","fast.t-mobile.com" then press Save&Apply and restart the router. After every restart, make sure to wait at least 5 minutes for the custom AT command to take affect, which hopefully will help with the disconnection issue.
Unfortunately with those settings I could not get internet access at all, even though the modem was connected to the tower. Made sure to wait at least 15 minutes, rebooted and waited again just to be sure. Reverted the settings just so I could get back online.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Byulos wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:19 pm Unfortunately with those settings I could not get internet access at all, even though the modem was connected to the tower. Made sure to wait at least 15 minutes, rebooted and waited again just to be sure. Reverted the settings just so I could get back online.

Are you using Tmobile?
Enter these AT-commands to check if the custom command took affect, and copy and paste the output here.

Code: Select all

AT+CGDCONT?
AT+CGCONTRDP

Return to “General and Unclassified”