Existing Band 71 Routers

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
PRtronics
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Existing Band 71 Routers

Post by PRtronics »

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach Band 71. I currently use an unlocked AC797s router and it's been having mixed speeds. Sometimes 50 megs, sometimes 10. I know that Band 71 goes 100+ megs 99% of the time in my area. So I'm looking for an upgrade.

All I've found are Third party Routers but I don't know which one to pick. I need something in the sub $100 area and nothing seems to get to that price for good specs/firmware.

The best integration I've seen of OpenWrt has been from Gl-iNet. That's the one I'm inclined. But they go for $150. I'd probably buy a few since I have some people that also are interested. But honestly it's been a hassle, specially since I don't know if the Gl-iNet will reach the 100+ mbps like my phone does. I know it's a cat 4, so it's not rated for super high speeds.

Does anyone know if T-Mobile routers have a patch or a hack to let them use the unlimited data tablet plan? If I could get that working, I could just hook the new Alcatel Linkzone 2 and use a travel router for the TTL.

Suggestions?
BillA

Re: Existing Band 71 Routers

Post by BillA »

100Mbps on band 71 is not possible in the real world, especially with a CAT-4 modem which doesn't do carrier aggregation. The reason why you're getting much higher speeds on a phone, is because they have higher CAT# modem built in. The general formula to estimate the highest theoretical speed is (bandwidth * 5). In some areas band 71 is only 5Mhz while in others it's 10Mhz. If you do the math the best you'll get out of it is around 50Mbps, that is if the moon and the sun are aligned perfectly. lol

Return to “General and Unclassified”