Router Suggestions for USB Tethering

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Cainmos
Been thanked: 0

Router Suggestions for USB Tethering

Post by Cainmos »

I'm going to be traveling the U.S. in an RV and am trying to put together an LTE/wifi solution.

After researching it seems the easiest way to do this is flash the firmware of a router and USB tether a phone to be able to utilize an unlimited data plan.

I know ROOter has a list of supported routers and I have looked into a few TP-Links but was hoping that anyone could recommend any they have had success with in actually using for this type of setup.
Viper67857

Re: Router Suggestions for USB Tethering

Post by Viper67857 »

Most Asus routers can do this with their stock firmware... Rt-68u is a good one at a decent price. If you want to go cheaper, find an Archer c7 on eBay and load it with goldenorb.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

Cainmos wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:18 am
I know ROOter has a list of supported routers and I have looked into a few TP-Links but was hoping that anyone could recommend any they have had success with in actually using for this type of setup.
I request you to read: http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1495#p10118
Cainmos

Post by Cainmos »

Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction. Additional information and learning is always appreciated.
crazysteve

Post by crazysteve »

I've used Asus for this and was underwhelmed. I use a Synology RT2600AC and find it better in most ways. Switching from dual ISP to usb modem is seamless.
okrakuaddo
Has thanked: 0

Post by okrakuaddo »

How did you tether the phone to the synology router? Did you install rooter on it? Thanks

Return to “General and Unclassified”