Netgear lb1120

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
jjhdtv
Has thanked: 0

Netgear lb1120

Post by jjhdtv »

Hello. Great site. Tons of good information. Hoping for some help on a few issues

My current rural setup consist of a Netgear LB1120 poe, mounted on a 30 foot tower with dual yagi type antennas (phased). I carry the digital signal with cat 5 back to a Asus router running wdrt. As my first attempt with this setup I celebrated as I went from zero cell service to 20Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. However, on a bad day my upload can drop below 1 Mbps. After browsing this site, I believe there is also opportunities for improvement.

Like others I noticed the apparent week link on the LB1120 is the TS-9 connectors. Just searching for opinions or stories if anyone has cracked open the Netgear and replaced the TS-9 with SMA. Not sure if that would fix my issue, but having a better external antenna connector may bring great value to this relatively inexpensive high performing LTE modem. I have noticed that the many options presented on this sight also involve some degree of minor surgery. Perhaps a bad idea but thought I would throw out for comment.

My other question is how should I go about improving cell phone calling and text? Currently cellphones do not work unless you find the sweet spot outside, stand on one leg and lean North. Wifi calling is not an option for the older generation (phones and people). I need basic phone service and was hoping to utilize the same antennas since they are obviously connected/pointed at the nearest tower? Looking for options to research and implement. Thank you
jcouch1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Netgear lb1120

Post by jcouch1 »

I'm no expert, but turn on calling over wifi would maybe get 2 birds/ 1 stone.

Sorry i cant be of any help otherwise. I'm moving away from a lb1100 to wg3526 to get a higher category modem. hopefully this will translate to higher speed, more dependable internet.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

My Netgear Lb1120 is indoors but I have outdoor antennas. To get a good connection to the TS9 I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082K ... UTF8&psc=1 to adapt for an sma connection. I found the TS9 connectors much better than others I have tried.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

For cell phone issue either get newer wifi calling phones or get a booster. If you want to just boost calling and texting can get a cheaper booster. The more expensive one like weboost do data as well. I have one but it don't boost the whole house like it says. More like 20 to 30 feet of indoor antenna.
That Netgear lb1120 is an awesome super easy device to use. I have one as well that is stored as back up. And attached to it the first one I have ever had. With that being said it is a dinasour old category modem. Get even category 6 modem in a router with sma connectors would be allot better with not allot of money spent.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”