Using WG3526 WAN Port Without SIM Card

Topics related to ZBT Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Dwight S.

Using WG3526 WAN Port Without SIM Card

Post by Dwight S. »

Regarding the WG3526 - This is two questions.

1. If I remove the SIM Card for the cellular connection and connect an ISP Ethernet connection to the WAN port, do I need to change any configuration within the router to JUST USE the WAN port or will it "just work?"- specifically to accommodate a gigabit connection

1A. Is the WG3526 a suitable router for a gigabit connection?

2. If I want to use both the ISP Ethernet connection to the WAN port as a PRIMARY and have my cellular SIM card account as a SECONDARY ISP connection, how do I set the load balancing?
bjames

Re: Using WG3526 WAN Port Without SIM Card

Post by bjames »

The WG3526 does have GB WAN/LAN ports.

You may want to look at the GoldenOrb tutorials for setting up load balancing and/or failover. https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/features.html
Dwight S.

Post by Dwight S. »

Thanks for the reply. Gigabit fiber internet is coming to my area soon and, while the WG3526 does have a gigabit WAN port, I guess I'm asking the gurus here, do I need to invest in another router to realize best performance overall, or will the WG3526 do everything the high dollar units do? If you were in my situation, would you buy something like the Netgear Nighthawk WIFI 6 triband router or would you continue to use your WG3526 and tweak it? I know this is a subjective question, I'm just looking for expert opinions here I reckon.
Dwight S.

Post by Dwight S. »

UPDATE:
I finally got fiber to the house after 10-1/2 years of not having commercial high speed internet. I really appreciate all the coaching Jim and you all did helping me get up to being able to use the WG3526 for about a year now. Was a great solution over HughesNet that I hated (poor service, unacceptable latency, etc.).
I did get the Asus tri-band WIFI 6 that is now my main router (LOVE IT), but I connected the WG3526 WAN port to an open port on the Asus LAN and DID NOTHING ELSE, didn't take out the SIM, nothing, just plugged it in and it worked... Bottom line, this WG3526 will be a GREAT second downline router that I'll run to my barn.
Thanks again for all the great learning experience with the cellular WIFI technology. I've learned a LOT and hope to continue my learning journey. You all are kind and very smart!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “ZBT Routers”