T-moble / SImple Mobile, NEXQ6GO-U, Quectel EP06

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
JR531
Been thanked: 0

T-moble / SImple Mobile, NEXQ6GO-U, Quectel EP06

Post by JR531 »

Greetings folks, I've been lurking around the boards for a while now after AT&T pulling the plug on my iPad plan. I definitely have information overload, a lot of this stuff is way beyond my knowledge base. I waited too long to pull the trigger on a router and now it looks like the options are limited. I'm leaning towards going with the subject line setup just to get me started. I'm not sure what kind of signal I will get with T-mobile. The map on their website shows I should get good coverage. I'm in a very populated area, I just happen to live at the end of the private dirt road where satellite is the only internet option, so I would expect to get a decent signal from any carrier. I also have a nighthawk M1 that is no longer of use, so I'm also looking into using that with an actual hotspot plan as a backup so I can cancel the Hughes satellite plan (20Gb per month that I chew right though for about $80/month) but I haven't figure that out yet. I work from home, my kids chew up internet too, but I can easily get by with 250-300Gb per month based on my previous use with the nighthawk M1.

The EP06 modem doesn't list T-mobile as a carrier on the description page, but it appears the bands it supports are T-mobile bands. Any feedback on this setup would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Didneywhorl

Re: T-moble / SImple Mobile, NEXQ6GO-U, Quectel EP06

Post by Didneywhorl »

Why not Sprint? Their unlimited hotspot plans can be had fairly easily.

The NEXQ6GO-U and EP06A is popular. I've not tested it myself. I do know that the Verizon based connections are blacklisting the EP06 and likely the EM12 as well
JR531

Post by JR531 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:26 am Why not Sprint? Their unlimited hotspot plans can be had fairly easily.

The NEXQ6GO-U and EP06A is popular. I've not tested it myself. I do know that the Verizon based connections are blacklisting the EP06 and likely the EM12 as well
Thanks for the response. I get redirected to the T-Mobile site any time I try to look into Sprint. Are Sprint plans available anymore? I was leaning toward Simple Mobile until recently, but I'm certainly open to whatever works. So much great info here, my head is spinning a bit!

After I submitted my original post I realized the The Wireless Haven store was closed. That setup was based upon what was in stock there at the time. I guess I'll wait until the store or netsolution shop is back up and running and see what the options are (I'd prefer to keep my purchase through folks here). Ideally, I think I'd like to go with the WG3526 for the 2.4/5GHz dual bands and a better modem than the EP06 (as long as it can use any carrier) so I have options, but it may get to a point where beggars can't be choosers, I'd like to find something soon.
ringo458
Has thanked: 0

Post by ringo458 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:26 am Why not Sprint? Their unlimited hotspot plans can be had fairly easily.

Hi Didneywhorl, how does one find out these things? I was about to deploy an EP06 and now I'm worried. Seems like one could open up a Verizon hotspot box to find the modem inside and then use that assuming it is just another commodity item from China. Are you able to provide a reference?
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

I don't think so. All the Quectel modems that I had tested fine on Verizon. Try my approach here from my post https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10327#p10327
JR531 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:14 am After I submitted my original post I realized the The Wireless Haven store was closed. That setup was based upon what was in stock there at the time. I guess I'll wait until the store or netsolution shop is back up and running and see what the options are (I'd prefer to keep my purchase through folks here). Ideally, I think I'd like to go with the WG3526 for the 2.4/5GHz dual bands and a better modem than the EP06 (as long as it can use any carrier) so I have options, but it may get to a point where beggars can't be choosers, I'd like to find something soon.
What bands are showing on the tower for T-Mobile and towers from other providers near you? Is it that you only want T-Mobile/SimpleMobile? I would suggest EM12-G as a step up from EP06.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

JR531 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:14 am Thanks for the response. I get redirected to the T-Mobile site any time I try to look into Sprint. Are Sprint plans available anymore? I was leaning toward Simple Mobile until recently, but I'm certainly open to whatever works. So much great info here, my head is spinning a bit!

After I submitted my original post I realized the The Wireless Haven store was closed. That setup was based upon what was in stock there at the time. I guess I'll wait until the store or netsolution shop is back up and running and see what the options are (I'd prefer to keep my purchase through folks here). Ideally, I think I'd like to go with the WG3526 for the 2.4/5GHz dual bands and a better modem than the EP06 (as long as it can use any carrier) so I have options, but it may get to a point where beggars can't be choosers, I'd like to find something soon.
Try Mobile Citizen, PCsForPeople, or CalyxInstitute.org. All Sprint based Unlimted Hotspot accounts can be had via these organizations. There are others floating around based on the same contract from Sprint.

thewirelesshaven.com will be back soon. They are working hard on getting reopened.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

ringo458 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:35 pm Hi Didneywhorl, how does one find out these things? I was about to deploy an EP06 and now I'm worried. Seems like one could open up a Verizon hotspot box to find the modem inside and then use that assuming it is just another commodity item from China. Are you able to provide a reference?
Looking through posts on here an on the facebook group, quite a few people have has their PagePlus accounts cancelled. New accounts created only work for an hour and then they get cancelled. The SIM and account get closed and arent being reopened. I have zero experience with this, but Im seeing it happen. BillA is dealing with this and working up a solution I think.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Yipzy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:16 pm I don't think so. All the Quectel modems that I had tested fine on Verizon. Try my approach here from my post https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10327#p10327

It seems to be an issue on PagePlus so far, maybe others. Search the latest posts with BillA
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:25 pm It seems to be an issue on PagePlus so far, maybe others. Search the latest posts with BillA
It seems to be related to T-Mobile/SimpleMobile with IMEI mismatch/disconnection issues.
JR531

Post by JR531 »

Yipzy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:16 pm What bands are showing on the tower for T-Mobile and towers from other providers near you? Is it that you only want T-Mobile/SimpleMobile? I would suggest EM12-G as a step up from EP06.
I was originally leaning toward T-Mobile/SimpleMobile based on info I found here, but that was before I saw posts about people having issues with SIMs getting cut off. It looks like BillA figure it out, but I'm not really sure which provider I would go with yet.

I haven't actually checked much for bands, I'm a noob and I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. I get a good signal from Cricket/AT&T on my phone and M1 hotspot. I'm not in a rural area, I'm in between 2 major highways and I would expect (the dreaded assume....) most carriers to have a good signal here. According to cellmapper, here's what I can find, I'm taking this with a grain of salt:

-A lot of fairly close AT&T towers with Bands 2, 12, 14, 30, 66 (2 and 12 are closest to me, all are red showing unverified).
-Sprint: 2 close towers, Bands 25, 26, 41 (showing green, verified)
-T-Mobile: 2 close towers, Bands 2, 4, 12, 66, 71 all on one tower, 12, 66 on another (showing green)
(I didn't find Verizon options, but that seems to be the least preferred option based on what I've read so far, but there are definitely towers not far away)

I actually attempted to get a WG3526 and Sierra EM7565 off eBay yesterday, but the seller canceled it on me and won't respond to my messages. Good times. Another reason I would prefer to order though the site here. Ideally, I'd like to go with the WG3526 and at least a Cat 12 modem.
Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:15 pm Try Mobile Citizen, PCsForPeople, or CalyxInstitute.org. All Sprint based Unlimted Hotspot accounts can be had via these organizations. There are others floating around based on the same contract from Sprint.

thewirelesshaven.com will be back soon. They are working hard on getting reopened.
Thanks for the tips, I'll check into those. Hopefully you're starting to find some normalcy after the 1000 mile move, moving is tough just locally, I can't imagine that!
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

JR531 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:27 pm Ideally, I'd like to go with the WG3526 and at least a Cat 12 modem.
Hi JR531--I'm currently experimenting with a WG3526 and a Quectel EM12-G modem (CAT12). I'm currently using SimpleMobile for the MVNO, and so far so good. Still doing some tweaks here and there, but I have no regrets as of yet. BillA is an excellent resource for activating SIMs (he runs a mobile/tablet repair & phone shop) and working around SimpleMobile issues. If you reach out to him, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Best of luck!
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

It sounds like BillA could provision your modem's IMEI or repair it to match a SIM card for SimpleMobile, a MVNO of T-Mobile if I have to guess only if the issue is the mismatch causing disruption. Though I don't know if a MVNO of T-Mobile has to follow and enforce it or it's just built into the system and there is no way around it. It is also something you have to do for Sprint if you go with them and use EM7565. It will not work with Sprint unless you have it provisioned for Sprint due to how Sierra Wireless modem's firmware work. I'm not going to go in depth but you will less headaches with EM12-G as it's more open and it should work without being provisioned and more unrestricted stuff you could do with Quectel modems if needed.

As for checking signals and speeds, you could check the signals of cells nearby, carrier aggregations, and speeds on a fairly recent phone with better than or equal to CAT 12 modem with low cost prepaid sim cards from each MVNO provider for T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon.
Android - use LTE Discovery and Network Cell Info Lite.
iOS - use Field Test Mode by dialing *3001#12345#* then call button.
Speedtest by Ookla app.
BillA

Post by BillA »

The latest SimpleMobile/PagePlus restrictions are mainly due to all the greedy Ebay selling those "cheap sim" plans.
As as dealer just received an email warning about the fraud perpetrated by some dealers flipping sim's, and cramming multiple lines onto one account.
What a lot of folks don't understand, is that low cost prepaid carriers already have slim profit margins, and cannot make money on customers who keep replacing the sim cards every other month, therefore they don't get paid by the big carriers (the ones they are reselling), They will only tighten the rules even more to make up for their losses, which will ultimate be our loss. Ideally a customer has to use a single sim for a least 4-6 month till they even start making a profit. So these greedy "cheap sim" sellers are basically f*cking the system and messing it up for everybody just to make a few quick bucks. There's a wrong right way and a wrong way of doing things.
A workaround is available using a combination of parameters customized to each new activation without flipping sim's. Another workaround is by tethering a phone to a router (flashed with GoldenOrb/WiFix) as described here.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303

Return to “Internet Service Providers”