Heatsink options for modems

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
prideauxx

Heatsink options for modems

Post by prideauxx »

Hi all,

Seriously considering heatsink options for my current attic modem setups. Curious what those have found to work best and what sort of thermal paste/glue sticky-stuff you used to attach to the modem in question. Links are welcome!

Current setup is a Quectel EM12-G in a WG3526 that just went into the attic this morning. Got the standard Sierra modem in a in a Mofi 4500 as well (also in attic). Think I'll be pulling the WG3526 out of there soon, as I'm already at 60 degrees C, and we're just starting to warm up for the day. Will also be changing the cases soon as other options become available again (liking the thewirelesshaven.com enclosure with built-in MIMO antennas) to help with modem heat dissipation.

Thank you,

Justin

Update: Links to some options in consideration:
gscheb

Re: Heatsink options for modems

Post by gscheb »

This is what I plan on doing in the future after I decide what equipment I want to stick with.

Going to knock out the ceiling in the hall closet where no one will notice it. Then in the attic build a insulated chute duct. Maybe with heating and cooling furnace ducts. Then build a shelf in this with a access panel door in the attic. So that way my antenna wires are short since still in attic. But still be around normal room temps.
Could even still put it in some type of enclosure so can remove case to make it even cooler and slap a heat sink on it too.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4 ... UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BD ... UTF8&psc=1

All day. They have the thermal sticky already on them. They work GOOD.
prideauxx

Post by prideauxx »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:37 am https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4 ... UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BD ... UTF8&psc=1

All day. They have the thermal sticky already on them. They work GOOD.
Awesomesauce! Buying some tonight. Thank you!
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

TIL that 3m makes thermal-conductive tape... If it holds anything like their VHB tape then those heatsinks won't come back off without taking the chips with them 😂.

Always been a fan of Arctic Silver compounds and pastes myself, but if didney recommends these and that's really 3m-branded tape then they must be good...
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

You are correct sir. DO NOT place the heat sinks and think your getting it back off without a very tough fight!
machy
Been thanked: 0

Post by machy »

On my WG1608, the heatsink copper pad on the modem (EM7511) is facing down towards the circuitboard of the router, without enough room to put on a heatsink. Is it ok to put the heatsink on the opposite side of the copper pad?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

machy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:25 am On my WG1608, the heatsink copper pad on the modem (EM7511) is facing down towards the circuitboard of the router, without enough room to put on a heatsink. Is it ok to put the heatsink on the opposite side of the copper pad?
Yep. Thats where I always put the heat sink. Directly on top of the chip cover
bcd1975
Has thanked: 0

Post by bcd1975 »

On the wg1608 with there being a copper pad on the board where the modem goes would there be much benefit of installing the modem as shown in the RMU500-EK User Guide?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I definitely think it would help. the RM500Q gets hot AF when using NR bands and starts loading up.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”