Need help understanding which router/modem I need on Verizon?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
optymyze
Has thanked: 0

Need help understanding which router/modem I need on Verizon?

Post by optymyze »

So, I have a signal meter on the way so I can check what carriers and frequencies are available but I'm pretty certain just Verizon and just Band 13, BUT I don't want to buy a modem/router that will limit me. I may have other bands available, which would mean I could use carrier aggregation, but again, I'm unsure. I will update this post once I know for certain in a few days. Till then, I would love some help right now figuring out which router I need to get.

Here are the 4 on my list right now:

1. GL.iNet Spitz X750 (w/ Quectel EP06-A) - $175
2. Build my own WE826 w/ 12v PSU + (Sierra MC7455 / Quectel EM12 / Quectel EM20G) - $192, $232, $317
3. Cradlepoint CBA850LP6 - $235
4. MOFI 4500 - $330

I've also heard mention of the Telit Lm960 modem.

So, I won't be using the wireless functionality of any of these routers. As soon as it connected the LTE passes through the modem, I'll be wiring (through fiber) down a hill to my house where I will use a real router. I just need the modem to handle the whole LTE and cell signal side of things, not the WiFi distribution part. With that in mind, I think these are the things that are important to me:

("!" means supports as far as I know, "?" means unknown)
- 2x2 MIMO for sure -> Spitz(!) Built WE826(!) Cradlepoint(!) MOFI(!)
- band locking -> Spitz(!) Built WE826(!) Cradlepoint(!) MOFI(!)
- ip passthrough -> Spitz(?) Built WE826(?) Cradlepoint(!) MOFI(!)
- ability to change TTL values -> Spitz(!) Built WE826(!) Cradlepoint(?) MOFI(!)
- ability to change IMEI to make router look like an iPad -> Spitz(!) Built WE826(?) Cradlepoint(?) MOFI(?)

Please inform if you know anything I'm unsure about above^.

Now for some questions. I know I need 2x2 MIMO support but I see some modems support 4x4 MIMO. Do I need this? I will get it if it will significantly increase my speeds. I'm aware I'd need either 4 antennas or 2 2x2MIMO antennas, but how do I know if this will help my speed?

Do any of the other routers besides the Spitz support changing the devices IMEI?I read how there is a command you can the Spitz to change its IMEI, which from my understanding is another step in preventing the ISP from seeing its a hotspot. I'm especially concerned about this since I will most likely be going with Verizon.

Is IP passthrough what I should be looking for in the situation I described above? I will not use the modems wireless capabilities, I just need it to feed the internet to my actual router through a long cable.

Thank you guys :)
BillA

Re: Need help understanding which router/modem I need on Verizon?

Post by BillA »

It's probably best to go with an OpenWRT flashable router (GL.iNet Spitz X750, MOFI 4500/WE826/WG3526) which offers TTL settings and other great options for flexibility.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

optymyze wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:21 pm Is IP passthrough what I should be looking for in the situation I described above? I will not use the modems wireless capabilities, I just need it to feed the internet to my actual router through a long cable.
I would like to understand what this IP passthrough means?

The router to which the WAN port of the modem is connected will masq. any packets that come to it so what exactly is the need for IP passthrough?

You want to run some server that needs to know the external IP its exposing its port to?

That IP is that of the provider's NAT anyways and they won't be port forwarding for you :?
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:37 pm I would like to understand what this IP passthrough means?

The router to which the WAN port of the modem is connected will masq. any packets that come to it so what exactly is the need for IP passthrough?

You want to run some server that needs to know the external IP its exposing its port to?

That IP is that of the provider's NAT anyways and they won't be port forwarding for you :?

When you connect a mobile router's LAN port to a regular router's WAN port, you would put the mobile router into "passthrough mode". While there's no one settings on the mobile router to do that, you need to disable DHCP and enable DMZ mode to bypass any firewall filtering and let the main router serve as DHCP/firewall. Essentially you're turning the mobile router into a dummy modem (like a cable/DSL) and let the main router handle all the routing/port forwarding functions.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

Ah so a bridge mode with no NAT or traffic filtering?

Thank you Bill
dirtk38
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dirtk38 »

Did you make a purchase yet? I'm looking for basically the same thing and am curious if you tried any of these devices yet.

Return to “General and Unclassified”