Asus RT-AC68U keeps dropping wifi

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Diebog
Been thanked: 0

Asus RT-AC68U keeps dropping wifi

Post by Diebog »

Just got an Asus RT-AC68U to USB tether with my Mifi 8000 and I have v384.18 of Asuswrt-Merlin firmware installed, Everything seems to be working fine but while streaming or downloading, without warning the internet it drops, but device is still connected to router. On Apple TV I get an error "network dropped/issue" pop up and then after a minuet or 2 (sometimes longer) it will come back on and keep streaming. I check the Mifi and it still is showing its connected downloading/uploading and no issues. This happens on an iPad, PC computer, apple TV, etc. When it happens on one device all stop working (like if I am steaming a movie and wife is using internet on her iPad) the internet is down on all which leads me to think it is something to do with the WiFi signal from the Asus router. But each device still says its connected to my Asus Router, and still shows good signal but no internet.

There is no exact time this happens, its sporadic. One day it went almost all day and never dropped. Another day every 10 minuets it will drop. Sometimes I have to reboot the router (not Mifi) and it will work again for a wile. Any ideas what is causing this? I live in the country so not many other neighbors WiFi signals even reach me if that were an issue as I know it can be in the city areas. Is there software I can install to monitor and see what exactly is happening? There are system logs on the Asus, but I don't understand what any of it means.

I don't believe the Mifi is the issue here as when I use it without the Asus router I don't have any of these issues. I need a router because the Mifi doesn't broadcast the WiFi very well, so coverage in my house is spotty. Willing to try any suggestions you guys might have. Also I'm not a total novice but I am new to networking so please bear with me if I don't understand the lingo completely. LOL
Viper67857

Re: Asus RT-AC68U keeps dropping wifi

Post by Viper67857 »

Sounds like an issue with the communication between the Asus and the mifi... Have you tried a new USB cable? Preferably a quality one like an Anker.
Diebog

Post by Diebog »

The usb cable is the usb to usbC wich came with the Mifi. Its brand new.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

What does the connection status on the Asus show when the internet is down? Is it still showing the mifi under usb devices with a valid IP address?
Diebog

Post by Diebog »

Sense its momentary by the time I look it still shows it connected. I did just now wiggled the usb-c connector and its real loose, then when I move it just right it drops the usb connection and then reconnects. So I think your on to something there. Its brand new, it cant be worn out can it? It moves around allot, its not tight like a regular usb connector is. I think the vibration of walking around may be enough to loose connection momentarily. But for some reason the router has to reset or something to see the connection again? Is there a way to change any settings or is this how usb tethering works? Any idea how to make a usbC connector tighter?
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

I've never had that problem with usb-c, unlike microusb... Maybe the included cable is cheap af... All my anker cables fit very well and last forever.
Diebog

Post by Diebog »

The cable looks like its quality made. But it wiggles more then any usb connector ive seen. I am new to usbc connectors. But as I gently wiggle the plug side to side or up down it will disconnect and reconnect. So that definitely has to be the issue. Thanks for the quick help!

Return to “General and Unclassified”