WG3526 with EC25-AF questions

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
JustJill
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WG3526 with EC25-AF questions

Post by JustJill »

I have a WG3526 running GoldenOrb_2020-03-01 with a Quectel EC25-AF modem installed. the nearest and potentially only tower is about 4 miles away. I chose the EC25-AF for B71 since my phone can connect on that band. That tower is T-mobile with B2, B66, and B71. It works with my Mint mobile SIM with APN for Mint on the stock antennas set in a window. I want to use a PCs for People (Mobile Citizen) SIM in this setup. The modem fails to connect with APN r.ispsn. Is this because of the lack of B25 and B26?

I had hoped with T-Mobile allowing Sprint to roam where there is no Sprint service that it might work. The coverage map shows extended LTE here but it doesn't look that way in reality. I have ordered an EP06-A in the hope it might help despite lacking B71. The issue I see is that the Sprint tower is about seven miles away and best I can tell on Google Earth is that line of sight is not achievable due to a mountain in the way.

Do you think I can make the PCs for People SIM work? If so how? If not what suggestions for a T-mobile based provider?

Thanks and have a wonderful day!
MattB29

Re: WG3526 with EC25-AF questions

Post by MattB29 »

What is the APN recommended for the PC's for People sim? You might be able to get it from the hotspot that they supply with the service if you can not find it online. Don't assume it is either a T-mobile or Sprint APN. Now as to whether it will work where you live? That would be a function of towers and bands. I note that they seem to be Sprint in terms of coverage.

Hope that helps a bit.
JustJill

Post by JustJill »

The APN that was programmed into the hotspot when I received it was r.ispsn.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

JustJill wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:11 pm I want to use a PCs for People (Mobile Citizen) SIM in this setup. The modem fails to connect with APN r.ispsn. Is this because of the lack of B25 and B26?

I had hoped with T-Mobile allowing Sprint to roam where there is no Sprint service that it might work. The coverage map shows extended LTE here but it doesn't look that way in reality. I have ordered an EP06-A in the hope it might help despite lacking B71. The issue I see is that the Sprint tower is about seven miles away and best I can tell on Google Earth is that line of sight is not achievable due to a mountain in the way.

Do you think I can make the PCs for People SIM work? If so how?
I would like to work with you on this as I am on the same boat.

First, let's keep in mind (as you're already aware): Sprint bands: 25, 26.

Also, the EC25-AF supports only B2-5/B12-14/B66/B71 so your order of EP06-A is a good idea (when do you get it?)

Now, I also don't have ANY Sprint LTE (or 3G) service at home location. I am in a very rural area but have excellent TMobile service. 0 Sprint towers within a 10 miles radius and the closest one near by is behind a mountain.

Even given all this, I purchased Sprint's BYOD tablet unlimited plan that they were selling for $15 (ended last week).

I am hoping this plan would get me "unlimited" LTE on TMobile on the tablet, because by regulation, we should have free unlimited roaming on T-Mobile.

Eventually it should be "home coverage" for everyone starting August 1, when migrations will be opened up.

Exactly when it happens to your and my account? I have no clue.

I am willing to spend $75 on this experiment whcih should cover ~4 months service or through Nov 2020. If by then, I still can't roam on T-Mobile, I will terminate the account.

In the meantime:

1. You may have to enable "domestic data roaming" in your options.
2. Failing that, call the CS and see if they can provision your account with ROMAHOME. This should atleast allow you to see if your expectations have any chances of working. You might have to call in a few times to get a CSR willing to do that for you though

Whatever happens, I would like to work with you

Let me know what you think - if you are interested, I will begin by activating my Sprint SIM this week when it gets here.
JustJill

Post by JustJill »

The EP06-A should be here by Monday. I will look into your suggestions. Perhaps there will be more suggestions and viewpoints on this issue.
shirtsvegan

Post by shirtsvegan »

I'm interested in this too, because I have the Connectall.org (mobile citizen reseller) Coolpad hotspot with the Sprint Sim inside and the hotspot is an absolute piece of junk, but I have an MC7455, so I will hang out and see what you can come up with!
BrandonDillon

Post by BrandonDillon »

Let us know how it works out with the WG3526 and EP06-A
JustJill

Post by JustJill »

I tried the EP06-A with the PCs for People SIM and had the same no connection issue. The only Sprint tower is blocked by too much granite. Until there is a solution that will let me use T-mobile towers on that SIM, it is just money down the drain since PCs for People is incommunicado (three service tickets by email and one call that was not returned). Not sure what their problem is. You win some, you lose some. 😃 Also in case you missed it, DON’T use a SimpleMobile SIM in a Quectel EC25-AF modem!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I also have not heard of Sprint MVNO SIM getting access to Tmo Bands yet. Hopefully soon

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”